SLU 4 St. Bonaventure 0

courtside

I came in town and caught SLU v Bonnies. 4-0 SLU.

Man of the match was Josh Aranda. He was terrific again, really playing well, controlling the defensive midfield and creating some offense too, and it's great to have him healthy. Also a very strong performance from Tim Ream. I couldn't imagine how good he'd be with more speed to his arsenal.

Shots were listed at 20 or so, but it was probably more like 25.( Memo to stats guy when a shot is taken and it goes in the goal, that's considered a shot on goal)

Keegan Smith first career goal, after coming in to play forward.

Lineup was similar to past couple of games. Adding an extra offensive player and having Jaramillo at right back.

Hamzagic came off of the bench, after missing a lot of games due to injury, mixed results of his play. All the skills, can handle the physicality of the game, but wasn't sharp, looked rusty, had a couple of positive moments.

Poor game from Jimmy Holmes, and he was justifiably yanked in the second half, and re-entered later. Wizzer was decent, better.

Bonnies played hard throughout, but never threatened.

Once again the surface was a problem with players slipping.

I came in town and caught SLU v Bonnies. 4-0 SLU.

Man of the match was Josh Aranda. He was terrific again, really playing well, controlling the defensive midfield and creating some offense too, and it's great to have him healthy. Also a very strong performance from Tim Ream. I couldn't imagine how good he'd be with more speed to his arsenal.

Shots were listed at 20 or so, but it was probably more like 25.( Memo to stats guy when a shot is taken and it goes in the goal, that's considered a shot on goal)

Keegan Smith first career goal, after coming in to play forward.

Lineup was similar to past couple of games. Adding an extra offensive player and having Jaramillo at right back.

Hamzagic came off of the bench, after missing a lot of games due to injury, mixed results of his play. All the skills, can handle the physicality of the game, but wasn't sharp, looked rusty, had a couple of positive moments.

Poor game from Jimmy Holmes, and he was justifiably yanked in the second half, and re-entered later. Wizzer was decent, better.

Bonnies played hard throughout, but never threatened.

Once again the surface was a problem with players slipping.

I couldn't make the game, but the score and stats suggests we played well. If Jaramillo was at right back did AJ not start or did we miss Viv or Angus?

Who played the midfield in Jaramillo's spot providing us more offense? Who did we start?

I couldn't make the game, but the score and stats suggests we played well. If Jaramillo was at right back did AJ not start or did we miss Viv or Angus?

Who played the midfield in Jaramillo's spot providing us more offense? Who did we start?

AJ did not start. It was Jaramillo, Angus, Rob, and Ream across the back. Hayes, Aranda, Barklage and Patterson across the middle. Holmes and Wiz up top. Keegan Smith is a big kid but slow. He had a nice leave to set up the third goal. Besides the score, its still frustrating as hell to watch the offensive third just not pull it together as a cohesive unit. Guys are not on the same page up there. There was noticeable bitching at one another for a missed pass or poor run. Holmes is a freakin bust in my opinion. Speed means jack squat if you don't have the tactical sense or touch to use it. Sounds harsh but it is what it is. I second Courtside's comment on Aranda. Love him cleaning up sh-t in the middle. Its a nice tandem with Aranda and Barklage. Much more of that defensive-mid-offensive-mid set we need badly. The backline is solid. I actually think Reams does have some decent speed or is at least above average for his size at least. And like courtside said, he's still one of the best players out there hands down. Donigan was screaming at guys to "Find Ream" when he'd be sneaking down the weak flank. Not appropriate to judge Dado. Where's Sweetin these days? I totally forgot about him till I saw him walking around the bench.

AJ did not start. It was Jaramillo, Angus, Rob, and Ream across the back. Hayes, Aranda, Barklage and Patterson across the middle. Holmes and Wiz up top. Keegan Smith is a big kid but slow. He had a nice leave to set up the third goal. Besides the score, its still frustrating as hell to watch the offensive third just not pull it together as a cohesive unit. Guys are not on the same page up there. There was noticeable bitching at one another for a missed pass or poor run. Holmes is a freakin bust in my opinion. Speed means jack squat if you don't have the tactical sense or touch to use it. Sounds harsh but it is what it is. I second Courtside's comment on Aranda. Love him cleaning up sh-t in the middle. Its a nice tandem with Aranda and Barklage. Much more of that defensive-mid-offensive-mid set we need badly. The backline is solid. I actually think Reams does have some decent speed or is at least above average for his size at least. And like courtside said, he's still one of the best players out there hands down. Donigan was screaming at guys to "Find Ream" when he'd be sneaking down the weak flank. Not appropriate to judge Dado. Where's Sweetin these days? I totally forgot about him till I saw him walking around the bench.

I hope - and predict - that one of the characteristics of RM's basketball teams will be that the sum will be greater than the parts. Unfortunately, I don't think the same can be said of Donigan's soccer team (at least this year). Whether that is a function of his coaching or the kids (and their egos), I'm not in a position to say. But as many have said, this team lacks chemistry - and without that chemistry the sum is less than the part.s And one could argue that team chemistry is even more important in soccer than in basketball. Barring a late season hot spell, I think this team's run in the post-season is destined to mirror past years. I hope they get hot.

This particular lineup has been the lineup the past handful of games.

AJ came in during the second half to replace Jaramillo late in game. There were wholesale subs late with big lead.

During the game, Dado subbed in for Holmes in both halves for decent amount of time.

Keegan Smith, a back by trade subbed in at forward. He is a frosh body, frail, tall, skinny, and very slow. He has good bloodlines with his dad. He'll fill out and be a solid future player. He isn't an impact frosh, he is the more typical 4 year player, stronger the last two years.

Reiter isn't anything other than scrub time.

Holmes was a "project" and everyone knew that. He was the local player of the year his Senior year, but that was against weaker competition, although he did score a lot in high school. He was late to quality club soccer, played with Gallagher late in high school to improve, but frankly that's too late. He has very good speed, and a good header, and a knack for scoring loose ball goals and garbage goals. Much of the time this is v average to below average teams. Holmes was always going to be a spurt, spark player, role player.

He gets knocked off of the ball too easily, he gives up possession too easily, has a poor first touch, and he isn't thinking one play ahead. Wizzer still struggles with first touch, but he did some good things in the game with first touch. Wizzer is much more dangerous than Holmes, too bad he doesn't have Holmes' speed. With that said even Wizzer leaves one frustrated.

Aranda is stone cold smooth, a beast when healthy. I have long favored him over Sweetin in defensive mid, to the disagreement of others. With Sweetin out, as usual....Aranda has been handling the defensive mid in recent games. He was also terrific in tough competition right back games this year as well. He is always thinking at least a play ahead and moves the ball forward and wide with a purpose after winning ball after ball after ball. And he took some good shots too and has gotten forward often this year. He was an elite two way mid at DeSmet and at Scott Gallagher. He's very smart.

Donigan screamed for Ream often because Ream wasn't marked tight enough and created opportunity after opportunity out of the back. If they can't stop it, keep it going.

Jaramillo was very solid at right back, he's played along the backline before. Keegan Smith at forward was the eye opener. He later returned to the backline.

This particular lineup has been the lineup the past handful of games.

AJ came in during the second half to replace Jaramillo late in game. There were wholesale subs late with big lead.

During the game, Dado subbed in for Holmes in both halves for decent amount of time.

Keegan Smith, a back by trade subbed in at forward. He is a frosh body, frail, tall, skinny, and very slow. He has good bloodlines with his dad. He'll fill out and be a solid future player. He isn't an impact frosh, he is the more typical 4 year player, stronger the last two years.

Reiter isn't anything other than scrub time.

they didn't use that lineup the last few at home, Dayton or X. Maybe the last one at Charlotte. Keegan came in at forward in the X or the Dayton game, I can't remember which and looked ok. What has happened with Reiter?

If they are going to play Jaramillo back, I'd move Calum up and keep AJ starting.

You made a comment about Tim's speed. I find it hard to judge as he rarely gets beat, and I've yet to see him get out run, though he never looks like he's running hard. Any idea how fast he is? A 40 time?

Holmes was a "project" and everyone knew that. He was the local player of the year his Senior year, but that was against weaker competition, although he did score a lot in high school. He was late to quality club soccer, played with Gallagher late in high school to improve, but frankly that's too late. He has very good speed, and a good header, and a knack for scoring loose ball goals and garbage goals. Much of the time this is v average to below average teams. Holmes was always going to be a spurt, spark player, role player.

He gets knocked off of the ball too easily, he gives up possession too easily, has a poor first touch, and he isn't thinking one play ahead. Wizzer still struggles with first touch, but he did some good things in the game with first touch. Wizzer is much more dangerous than Holmes, too bad he doesn't have Holmes' speed. With that said even Wizzer leaves one frustrated.

Aranda is stone cold smooth, a beast when healthy. I have long favored him over Sweetin in defensive mid, to the disagreement of others. With Sweetin out, as usual....Aranda has been handling the defensive mid in recent games. He was also terrific in tough competition right back games this year as well. He is always thinking at least a play ahead and moves the ball forward and wide with a purpose after winning ball after ball after ball. And he took some good shots too and has gotten forward often this year. He was an elite two way mid at DeSmet and at Scott Gallagher. He's very smart.

Donigan screamed for Ream often because Ream wasn't marked tight enough and created opportunity after opportunity out of the back. If they can't stop it, keep it going.

Jaramillo was very solid at right back, he's played along the backline before. Keegan Smith at forward was the eye opener. He later returned to the backline.

Thinking about it, I think it was Dayton where Keegan played up front. I think I commented on it after the game.

I hope - and predict - that one of the characteristics of RM's basketball teams will be that the sum will be greater than the parts. Unfortunately, I don't think the same can be said of Donigan's soccer team (at least this year). Whether that is a function of his coaching or the kids (and their egos), I'm not in a position to say. But as many have said, this team lacks chemistry - and without that chemistry the sum is less than the part.s And one could argue that team chemistry is even more important in soccer than in basketball. Barring a late season hot spell, I think this team's run in the post-season is destined to mirror past years. I hope they get hot.

Apples to oranges with soccer and hoops. Two different sports and two different programs at two way different levels.

I'm still solid with this year's team. Everyone else has been panic mode. We'll see. I've said all year that SLU lacks quality forwards and a creative offensive mid to help with the strong defensive mid, strong wide flanks and strong back line and strong keeper. The past few games changes have been made to try to create more offense. One defensive mid instead of two is the difference in alignment. Barklage has moved inside.

I don't think the team lacks chemistry, I think it lacks forwards. Dado hasn't been as good as he should nor healthy. It's been the bust of the season so far. He's very capable. Holmes, Wisniewski haven't panned out. Bellamy was injured pre-season and out for the year.

SLU's forwards are not dangerous, they don't play well as target players, nor in space. First touch is not elite, and too often they do not know what they are going to do with the ball before it arrives. And, not a good aerial group. Holmes isn't bad though in the air.

Before people gripe, Will Bruin, has been the only guy in the local area to be elite at forward in a long time. Germanese and Roth have been very good offensive mids. But that's it going back 5 years in the local Stl area. So they need to come from elsewhere and the guys they have been pedestrian.

An elite creative offensive mid that can hold the ball but create all game and be dangerous would be welcomed, as well as someone who can finish and be dangerous up top.

The kid from SLUH and the kid from Chaminade will be very good, strong, defensive mids coming in next year. Sweetin's brother is more offensive minded, bigger, and has potential. Has to tighten up his first touch and toughness. The kid from Springfield Glendale is skilled at forward but he's about Eric Sweetin's size. Not kidding. We'll see what else happens with recruiting. They'll be getting the top local kids this year.

SLU will be similar next year as to this year. Viviano, Ream, Jaramillo, Aranda, Holmes, Wiz, Hayes, Johnston, return.

Hopefully Bellomy, Reiter, Wiz, Holmes can improve. I'd like to think so.

SLU needs more on the ball skill from offensive mids and forwards, and have guys who can create for themselves and others with more ease and frequency offensively. Closing for a few new offensive studs would be nice. There haven't been many locally. Locally, the elite players have been backs, defensive mids, for the most part in recent years.

Holmes should be used in spurts, one thing he does well is work is ass off, he does create a few turnovers by pressuring the opponents defenders.

It says something that we have to start him.

I'd have moved Kyle P up top, Calum in the midfield, and played AJ on the back line.

they didn't use that lineup the last few at home, Dayton or X. Maybe the last one at Charlotte. Keegan came in at forward in the X or the Dayton game, I can't remember which and looked ok. What has happened with Reiter?

If they are going to play Jaramillo back, I'd move Calum up and keep AJ starting.

You made a comment about Tim's speed. I find it hard to judge as he rarely gets beat, and I've yet to see him get out run, though he never looks like he's running hard. Any idea how fast he is? A 40 time?

Reamer isn't fleet of foot. But he positions himself so well all the time, he makes good decisions, and the ball simply stops at his foot every time from 40 yards away. The fact you weren't aware of his lack of speed is a testament to how good he is. Now, he isn't super slow, but his speed is average at best. He's also much stronger this year. And by your Junior year that is the expectation, he hit the weight room and it's paying off for him. He was always skilled, versatile, very good, etc...but he keeps adding dimensions, growing and developing. Ream is an elite National player.

He fell a lot Fri night....the playing surface really is slick all over the place.

I'd move Calum up as long as AJ is healthy. Calum has done it before at SLU. The forwards have been frustrating.

Holmes should be used in spurts, one thing he does well is work is ass off, he does create a few turnovers by pressuring the opponents defenders.

It says something that we have to start him.

I'd have moved Kyle P up top, Calum in the midfield, and played AJ on the back line.

Holmes pouts too much. So does Dado. Sometimes he doesn't recover quickly enough. He is an awful defender. He was yelled at more than once for not making something happen offensively during the game. And he struggled back to goal, first touch. He wasn't thinking ahead or positioning himself. He is a very finesse player. He gets called offsides at least a handful of times a game. His speed and runs, only seem to be when he's intersted, which is only part of the time. That isn't good enough at this level. At least Hayes will give you everything he has all the time. Hayes has grown on me. I'm a little tough on him.

Dado is not playing with any confidence. If he can get it going, two way playing, and playing with pace, he can really be an asset. He's dangerous in small spaces. He's gotta want it.

Kyle is definitely more dangerous up top than wide mid. It's more of a necessity thing because he can do both. Other players can't play wide flanks other than Barklage and Hayes.

Reamer isn't fleet of foot. But he positions himself so well all the time, he makes good decisions, and the ball simply stops at his foot every time from 40 yards away. The fact you weren't aware of his lack of speed is a testament to how good he is. Now, he isn't super slow, but his speed is average at best. He's also much stronger this year. And by your Junior year that is the expectation, he hit the weight room and it's paying off for him. He was always skilled, versatile, very good, etc...but he keeps adding dimensions, growing and developing. Ream is an elite National player.

He fell a lot Fri night....the playing surface really is slick all over the place.

I'd move Calum up as long as AJ is healthy. Calum has done it before at SLU. The forwards have been frustrating.

how is SLU's recruiting class coming for this next year. I am a student at SLUh and I know we have at least one guy going to SLU (nick maglasang). Also, as far as area club soccer goes, which teams are considered the best. My little brother played against scott gallagher and he said they were pretty good.

Calum moved up during the 2nd half of the X game, it took a bit to get in the flow, but he's so strong and active, once they got going they scored 3 second half goals. Plus Kyle P is just a better player up top, the fact that he isn't a fixture there rather than wide in the midfield is exactly what I mean when I say imo DD doesn't use his players well.

Holmes pouts too much. So does Dado. Sometimes he doesn't recover quickly enough. He is an awful defender. He was yelled at more than once for not making something happen offensively during the game. And he struggled back to goal, first touch. He wasn't thinking ahead or positioning himself. He is a very finesse player. He gets called offsides at least a handful of times a game. His speed and runs, only seem to be when he's intersted, which is only part of the time. That isn't good enough at this level. At least Hayes will give you everything he has all the time. Hayes has grown on me. I'm a little tough on him.

Dado is not playing with any confidence. If he can get it going, two way playing, and playing with pace, he can really be an asset. He's dangerous in small spaces. He's gotta want it.

Kyle is definitely more dangerous up top than wide mid. It's more of a necessity thing because he can do both. Other players can't play wide flanks other than Barklage and Hayes.

There are alot of options that allow us to use Kyle P up top. Either Calum or better yet as I think SLUballs called for earlier in the year, Tim Ream wide in the midfield with Jaramillo back or even Dice who has played well when in.

The fact that we use our best forward wide in the midfield out of necessity, when it doesn't suit him well is telling. Especially when we go 330 minutes against top 10 teams without scoring a goal. It really brings DD's mentality into perspective, it just may explain why we continually have teams overstocked with defensive mids.

Up top ... Kyle P and Wiz

Mids .... Kyle H, Brandon, Aranda, and Ream

Backs .... AJ, Viv, Angus, and Jaramillo

how is SLU's recruiting class coming for this next year. I am a student at SLUh and I know we have at least one guy going to SLU (nick maglasang). Also, as far as area club soccer goes, which teams are considered the best. My little brother played against scott gallagher and he said they were pretty good.

Maglasang, SLUH, defensive mid.

Robson, Chaminade defensive mid, one of best two or three players in the are if not the best, injured early in season, out for season, broken leg, will be ready for SLU.

Devon Newport, Springfield Glendale, forward, tiny, skilled. Defending state champs in club soccer.

Alex Sweetin younger brother of Eric, with bigger size, taller, plays left mid, but moves around. Talented, finesse player.

None of these guys so far are immediate stars like a Will Bruin. But, solid recruits. I'd take Devon in Holmes' body any time.

Locally, Scott Gallagher, Metro United and St. Louis Soccer club and Lou Fusz would often be considered best for boys, especially Scott Gallagher and St. Louis Soccer club.

Scott Gallagher, St. Louis Soccer Club, and Metro United merged this past year and they have 8000 kids in their program.

At the younger levels, there are tons of programs and teams.

Calum moved up during the 2nd half of the X game, it took a bit to get in the flow, but he's so strong and active, once they got going they scored 3 second half goals. Plus Kyle P is just a better player up top, the fact that he isn't a fixture there rather than wide in the midfield is exactly what I mean when I say imo DD doesn't use his players well.

You give up some defense to get some offense. AJ is good, solid, but not perfect. It's a confidence thing. Jaramillo can play back but is naturally a def mid. Donigan has juggled lineups in league play to get some things going lately.

When things aren't working, adjustments need to be made more often in game. Sometimes you let it develop, but sometimes changes need to be made. These things need to be worked on in practice.

SLU would be looking at 0-0 pk's in NCAA's with their original group.

If Dado would just show something, that would help sort some things out. If he just can't do it, I'd let Patterson, Barklage, and Angud up top any time. The trick is creating opportunities for them up there besides just them creating up there.

You give up some defense to get some offense. AJ is good, solid, but not perfect. It's a confidence thing. Jaramillo can play back but is naturally a def mid. Donigan has juggled lineups in league play to get some things going lately.

When things aren't working, adjustments need to be made more often in game. Sometimes you let it develop, but sometimes changes need to be made. These things need to be worked on in practice.

SLU would be looking at 0-0 pk's in NCAA's with their original group.

If Dado would just show something, that would help sort some things out. If he just can't do it, I'd let Patterson, Barklage, and Angud up top any time. The trick is creating opportunities for them up there besides just them creating up there.

It's killing me, the 1st 2 recruits you name in the previous posts, defensive mids. The games I've seen at home which is all but UConn and last night he hasn't mixed it up much except the 2nd half of X. We have enough defense to permanently move Calum or Tim up top allowing us to play our best forward in the position he's most suited to play. Either one would immediately be a huge plus offensively. Making the change gives up less defensively than it gains offensively. We have 2 options that would be fine replacing the defender that moves forward, either Jaramillo dropping back or Dice playing.

I agree with you on Dado and have been saying it since last year. On my team he'd either become more team oriented and intense or he'd sit. We can talk all day about what he could and should be, but it's what he is that counts.

Apples to oranges with soccer and hoops. Two different sports and two different programs at two way different levels.

I'm still solid with this year's team. Everyone else has been panic mode. We'll see. I've said all year that SLU lacks quality forwards and a creative offensive mid to help with the strong defensive mid, strong wide flanks and strong back line and strong keeper. The past few games changes have been made to try to create more offense. One defensive mid instead of two is the difference in alignment. Barklage has moved inside.

I don't think the team lacks chemistry, I think it lacks forwards. Dado hasn't been as good as he should nor healthy. It's been the bust of the season so far. He's very capable. Holmes, Wisniewski haven't panned out. Bellamy was injured pre-season and out for the year.

SLU's forwards are not dangerous, they don't play well as target players, nor in space. First touch is not elite, and too often they do not know what they are going to do with the ball before it arrives. And, not a good aerial group. Holmes isn't bad though in the air.

Before people gripe, Will Bruin, has been the only guy in the local area to be elite at forward in a long time. Germanese and Roth have been very good offensive mids. But that's it going back 5 years in the local Stl area. So they need to come from elsewhere and the guys they have been pedestrian.

An elite creative offensive mid that can hold the ball but create all game and be dangerous would be welcomed, as well as someone who can finish and be dangerous up top.

The kid from SLUH and the kid from Chaminade will be very good, strong, defensive mids coming in next year. Sweetin's brother is more offensive minded, bigger, and has potential. Has to tighten up his first touch and toughness. The kid from Springfield Glendale is skilled at forward but he's about Eric Sweetin's size. Not kidding. We'll see what else happens with recruiting. They'll be getting the top local kids this year.

SLU will be similar next year as to this year. Viviano, Ream, Jaramillo, Aranda, Holmes, Wiz, Hayes, Johnston, return.

Hopefully Bellomy, Reiter, Wiz, Holmes can improve. I'd like to think so.

SLU needs more on the ball skill from offensive mids and forwards, and have guys who can create for themselves and others with more ease and frequency offensively. Closing for a few new offensive studs would be nice. There haven't been many locally. Locally, the elite players have been backs, defensive mids, for the most part in recent years.

Courtside,

I'm not panicking. I'm just lamenting that based on comments made here the soccer team does not appear to have improved much from when I saw them in LA, and when I saw them I thought the parts were greater than the sum. They have some incredible individual talent, but it does not appear to gel into the top quality team that many think it should based on the talent on the team. If they could gel, they clearly have the potential to go far in the NCAAs. If they do not, I think they will not. That is an observation about this team that I agree is also a criticism of it, but it is also a statement about soccer and team sports in general. All things being equal, the team that plays the best team ball will prevail.

I also agree to disagree about team chemistry. I think team chemistry is part of all team sports regardless of the sport. Loyola of LA had weaker individual players but better team chemistry. Only SLU's superior individual talent enabled them to squeak out a tie at the end on an incredible goal that resulted from an incredible individual effort. For years the Lakers have had Kobe - great individual talent, but poor team chemistry. For years they were knocked out of the playoffs early. Last year Kobe did a better job of meshing with his teammates, team chemistry improved, and the Lakers went to the finals.

I don't know the players on this team, but I saw one game and I've read enough on the board to think that it is a fair statement to say that they do not have good team chemistry. Do you agree or disagree with that statement? Do you really think this soccer team has good team chemistry? I agree that teams can win despite poor team chemistry, but it sure is harder and it puts them more at risk.

I also think that we will see better team chemistry this year on the basketball court - better than we saw on the soccer field. The only real question I have about the soccer program is whether the lack of team chemistry is a function of the players or the coach. The players will graduate in time and so there is a real chance it can improve with time. If the situation is a function of the coach, then I think there is only one way to improve the situation. I'm not saying this decision has to be made this year - in fact, it might take another year or two to determine the answer. But I do think team chemistry is a relevant and important variable when assessing a team and a program, particularly a program that strives to be among the best.

Maglasang, SLUH, defensive mid.

Robson, Chaminade defensive mid, one of best two or three players in the are if not the best, injured early in season, out for season, broken leg, will be ready for SLU.

Devon Newport, Springfield Glendale, forward, tiny, skilled. Defending state champs in club soccer.

Alex Sweetin younger brother of Eric, with bigger size, taller, plays left mid, but moves around. Talented, finesse player.

None of these guys so far are immediate stars like a Will Bruin. But, solid recruits. I'd take Devon in Holmes' body any time.

Locally, Scott Gallagher, Metro United and St. Louis Soccer club and Lou Fusz would often be considered best for boys, especially Scott Gallagher and St. Louis Soccer club.

Scott Gallagher, St. Louis Soccer Club, and Metro United merged this past year and they have 8000 kids in their program.

At the younger levels, there are tons of programs and teams.

Courtside, from what I've heard from people in the know, there isn't that one or two standout high school kids from the STL area this year. Lots of parity among the big four or five and no Bruins or Roachs. So for anyone expecting that one big pickup from STL, they'll have to wait a year or two. Speaking of Roach, he hasn't played a minute for Indiana this year. Are we possibly waiting on him to transfer to be the attacking mid or forward we need? Are we willing to put up with what many people say is a kid with attitude problems?

Anyone heading out to the game today at 1pm?

Courtside, from what I've heard from people in the know, there isn't that one or two standout high school kids from the STL area this year. Lots of parity among the big four or five and no Bruins or Roachs. So for anyone expecting that one big pickup from STL, they'll have to wait a year or two. Speaking of Roach, he hasn't played a minute for Indiana this year. Are we possibly waiting on him to transfer to be the attacking mid or forward we need? Are we willing to put up with what many people say is a kid with attitude problems?

SLUH's striker Tim O'Connor is having a great year. Did SLU look at him?

Courtside,

I'm not panicking. I'm just lamenting that based on comments made here the soccer team does not appear to have improved much from when I saw them in LA, and when I saw them I thought the parts were greater than the sum. They have some incredible individual talent, but it does not appear to gel into the top quality team that many think it should based on the talent on the team. If they could gel, they clearly have the potential to go far in the NCAAs. If they do not, I think they will not. That is an observation about this team that I agree is also a criticism of it, but it is also a statement about soccer and team sports in general. All things being equal, the team that plays the best team ball will prevail.

I also agree to disagree about team chemistry. I think team chemistry is part of all team sports regardless of the sport. Loyola of LA had weaker individual players but better team chemistry. Only SLU's superior individual talent enabled them to squeak out a tie at the end on an incredible goal that resulted from an incredible individual effort. For years the Lakers have had Kobe - great individual talent, but poor team chemistry. For years they were knocked out of the playoffs early. Last year Kobe did a better job of meshing with his teammates, team chemistry improved, and the Lakers went to the finals.

I don't know the players on this team, but I saw one game and I've read enough on the board to think that it is a fair statement to say that they do not have good team chemistry. Do you agree or disagree with that statement? Do you really think this soccer team has good team chemistry? I agree that teams can win despite poor team chemistry, but it sure is harder and it puts them more at risk.

I also think that we will see better team chemistry this year on the basketball court - better than we saw on the soccer field. The only real question I have about the soccer program is whether the lack of team chemistry is a function of the players or the coach. The players will graduate in time and so there is a real chance it can improve with time. If the situation is a function of the coach, then I think there is only one way to improve the situation. I'm not saying this decision has to be made this year - in fact, it might take another year or two to determine the answer. But I do think team chemistry is a relevant and important variable when assessing a team and a program, particularly a program that strives to be among the best.

Regardless of sport, some teams win with team chemistry and some don't. It's always nice to have but it isn't required to win. I know that the current group of kids are very close and get along very well off of the field. On the field chemistry can be limited when you need better players at a certain position that you simply do not have. I see and hear the kids constantly encouraging one another this year on the field. Fri night, lots of upperclassmen really supporting the underclassmen during the game, etc...I don't think SLU has a team chemistry problem this season. They do not have any bad apples or non-team players. It was terrific the encouragement everyone had for Charles, and others. But that doesn't win games necessarily.

I can say that we disagree on your theory or idea that SLU isn't playing up to your standards because of team chemistry.

I'd be more agreeable to a statement of playing up to opponents and down to opponents at times, or not concentrating a full 90 minutes. At this level, if you make a mistake for 1-5 minutes out of 90 it can cost you big time.

The Lakers? Lol. Team Chemistry eh? Hmmm it seems to me Gasol, Bynum, Odom, etc...more talent sure does help team chemistry. It sure does help to have 3 front court players 6'10 or taller who can do different things for you offensively, something the Lakers didn't have before, and also two point guards to free up Bryant as well. Not to mention the Spurs, Suns and Mavericks were in decline from previous seasons for different reasons each. That helped too. Somehow you insert team chemistry as the "aha" and unselfishness and I'd disagree with that Laker example. And I don't believe it applies to this year's team. I can tell you that Vedad Ibisevic was selfish, surly, and difficult. But man alive could he finish. He'd beat two guys at a time, stud defenders. SLU was an elite team with him, and they went far in post-season with him. But let me tell ya, lots of bickering going on compared to this season.

I can also say that I am not all that interested in possible transfer Roach from IU. He has "issues," and they have surfaced at IU.

I'm not interested in Roach. He's a good player, but he isn't good enough for his baggage. I think his play while good, isn't as good as some would say or believe.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, other than Roth (who was a big college surprise), and Germanese, what offensive players other than Bruin has SLU not gotten in the past 5 plus years out of the local area? There have been some good backs go elsewhere, but again, that is a deep position with SLU getting their share. So, elsewhere becomes important. People get too caught up in local, when sometimes you need to go other places to get elite players.

It is not a strong class this year at pretty much every position out of the Stl area. SLU is certainly getting their share. IU plucked one of Devon Newport's teammates, a defensive mid, solid prospect, not Frosh elite by any means.

Recruiting isn't over.

Regardless of sport, some teams win with team chemistry and some don't. It's always nice to have but it isn't required to win. I know that the current group of kids are very close and get along very well off of the field. On the field chemistry can be limited when you need better players at a certain position that you simply do not have. I see and hear the kids constantly encouraging one another this year on the field. Fri night, lots of upperclassmen really supporting the underclassmen during the game, etc...I don't think SLU has a team chemistry problem this season. They do not have any bad apples or non-team players. It was terrific the encouragement everyone had for Charles, and others. But that doesn't win games necessarily.

I can say that we disagree on your theory or idea that SLU isn't playing up to your standards because of team chemistry.

I'd be more agreeable to a statement of playing up to opponents and down to opponents at times, or not concentrating a full 90 minutes. At this level, if you make a mistake for 1-5 minutes out of 90 it can cost you big time.

The Lakers? Lol. Team Chemistry eh? Hmmm it seems to me Gasol, Bynum, Odom, etc...more talent sure does help team chemistry. It sure does help to have 3 front court players 6'10 or taller who can do different things for you offensively, something the Lakers didn't have before, and also two point guards to free up Bryant as well. Not to mention the Spurs, Suns and Mavericks were in decline from previous seasons for different reasons each. That helped too. Somehow you insert team chemistry as the "aha" and unselfishness and I'd disagree with that Laker example. And I don't believe it applies to this year's team. I can tell you that Vedad Ibisevic was selfish, surly, and difficult. But man alive could he finish. He'd beat two guys at a time, stud defenders. SLU was an elite team with him, and they went far in post-season with him. But let me tell ya, lots of bickering going on compared to this season.

I can also say that I am not all that interested in possible transfer Roach from IU. He has "issues," and they have surfaced at IU.

Courtside,

I would distinguish off-field team chemistry from on-field team chemistry. Off-field team chemistry is nice, but on-field team chemistry is more important. And by on-field team chemistry I mean trusting each other and having that sixth sense of knowing what your teammates are going to do so that you can play off of it better. Often disparity in talent among the players can adversely affect team chemistry. The better players begin not to trust some of the weaker players and try to do too much themselves. The weaker players become more passive and tend to defer too much to the stronger players (Kobe and his teammates in prior years). The result is a team that has a harder time 'clicking' on the field and winning consistently.

I have not seen enough games this year to assess whether this type of team chemistry is an issue for the Billikens. There were signs of it during the Loyola game, and there were signs of egos during the game that would lead one to believe it was a real possibility. I've also heard from some close to the team that some of these issues exist. I just threw it out there for the board to consider. I'm a huge fan of the team and hope that if this is an issue, that it passes soon (with this year's graduating class?).

I do agree with others, however, that this team has so much talent that it is easy to expect more out of them. While I agree with you that it is easy to play at the level of one's opponents, good teams do that occasionally, not consistently. The impression I get from reading the reviews on this board is that the Billikens have done that rather consistently this year.

Happy to just agree to disagree and root with you that the team puts this issue behind them when it comes time for the playoffs.

Courtside,

I would distinguish off-field team chemistry from on-field team chemistry. Off-field team chemistry is nice, but on-field team chemistry is more important. And by on-field team chemistry I mean trusting each other and having that sixth sense of knowing what your teammates are going to do so that you can play off of it better. Often disparity in talent among the players can adversely affect team chemistry. The better players begin not to trust some of the weaker players and try to do too much themselves. The weaker players become more passive and tend to defer too much to the stronger players (Kobe and his teammates in prior years). The result is a team that has a harder time 'clicking' on the field and winning consistently.

I have not seen enough games this year to assess whether this type of team chemistry is an issue for the Billikens. There were signs of it during the Loyola game, and there were signs of egos during the game that would lead one to believe it was a real possibility. I've also heard from some close to the team that some of these issues exist. I just threw it out there for the board to consider. I'm a huge fan of the team and hope that if this is an issue, that it passes soon (with this year's graduating class?).

I do agree with others, however, that this team has so much talent that it is easy to expect more out of them. While I agree with you that it is easy to play at the level of one's opponents, good teams do that occasionally, not consistently. The impression I get from reading the reviews on this board is that the Billikens have done that rather consistently this year.

Happy to just agree to disagree and root with you that the team puts this issue behind them when it comes time for the playoffs.

SLU has a lot of talent this year, but not at every position Malibu. (Duke's on the Water btw, a great place). That's the point. SLU has a lot of talent and depth in goal, on the back line, and in the defensive midfield. SLU also has a couple of offensive players who can play. However, SLU's "issues" imo are the following.

Often times SLU has started two defensive mids instead of one, to go along with a very deep back line. Some of these kids have need to move around positions in order to help more offensively. However, this depletes the depth in those defensive areas. So, different things have been tried. If Dado Hamzagic were healthy and playing well, that would have helped out. Had Holmes, Wisniewski been more consistent, that would have helped too. Had Bellomy not been injured and not play a minute this season, that would have helped too.

SLU went into the season with an elite keeper, elite back line and elite defensive midfield, to go along with strong wide flank midfield play.

SLU has struggled connecting from the defensive midfield to the creative attacking midfield.(Barklage is the only one they have had) and from attacking midfield to goals and/or from there to forwards who can finish.

My opinion again, is the forwards are not finishing well in the box, whether target or space, whether feet or air. Everything breaks down up top.

Aranda is a better offensive player than Sweetin. Patterson is better up top than right flank. Barklage should be able to roam anywhere across the middle or wide, or even play up top part of the time. His need is huge in the midfield.

Again, I will say that SLU's problem isn't on the field chemistry or off the field chemistry. It's talent at two important positions. SLU is not alone Nationally with this problem. From the U.S. National team on down, it's a nationwide issue for American soccer.

I will also say that SLU has to do better bringing an elite effort for a full 90 minutes against average teams. Relentless. Inconsistent and sloppy play at times has had to do with the opponent. There have only been a very few teams this year to be extremely consistent Nationally. Teams will have to win games that they don't play well, or they might not win games they should, that's soccer. But overall a certain level of play is expected.

If you look at individual games, SLU's play has been a pretty high level, much of the time.

As the season winds down and every game is important, SLU will have to find that goal in the 1-0 conference tourney games and NCAA's. And we'll see how it plays out.

I know this current team well enough to know that egos simply aren't the issue and you have unreliable information. I can tell you it was an issue the year they were in the final eight with Ibisevic. SLU's on the field play is perhaps too unselfish this year if you ask me.