Interview with New A-10 Commish

From CollegeChalktalk

"CCT — Are there any imminent plans for conference membership changes? Saint Louis is a team that comes to mind.

Commissioner McGlade – Well, I would only say to you that hopefully there are no changes in our membership makeup. Two big things when you come into a position in a conference office as a commissioner are that you want to preserve your conference membership and you want to protect your conference revenue distribution and championship opportunities. They are things that are always on my radar and I would hope that we do not have any movement in that regard. Saint Louis is a great university and a great member of this conference. Hopefully we are going to stay strong together as a league and get better as we move forward. "

From CollegeChalktalk

"CCT — Are there any imminent plans for conference membership changes? Saint Louis is a team that comes to mind.

This type of question makes me wonder about the writer's credentials. Sure, SLU is the most logical team to want to cut loose... new building, more money committed to the program, higher ranked non-conference opponents that help the league RPI and one of the most widely respected and well-known coaches in the nation (much less the A-10).... Yeah, thats the team I want gone from this leauge. GEESH

This type of question makes me wonder about the writer's credentials. Sure, SLU is the most logical team to want to cut loose... new building, more money committed to the program, higher ranked non-conference opponents that help the league RPI and one of the most widely respected and well-known coaches in the nation (much less the A-10).... Yeah, thats the team I want gone from this leauge. GEESH

I'd imagine the question wasn't so much about us getting kicked out as much as us leaving. SLU is the only team in the league whose fans are constantly talking about joining a new conference. That and our coach has been pretty blatant about his views on our travel situation.

few, if any fan bases are content in the a10, as a X fan we figure to wait it out until the big east breaks along football lines. Many X fans are seemingly fascinated with the valley...sure they had a great season, two years ago, just not sure it better and is certainly not markedly better than the a10.

Ideal situation...

east

g-town

seton hall

providence

st joes

st johns

temple

west

Xavier

Dayton

Marquette

ND

SLU

depaul

a dream for sure but , it forms a league with two clear divisions, east and west, of similarly sized, like-minded universities

Without the big east teams at play, the best you could do would be bring back parts of the mcc...x, butler, slu as well as creighton ext...

The West would be ideal,but just my take, I would hope for Villanova instead of Temple,because of football.

very true, nova's football team is d2 i think and its easy to forget temple has a team at all

Exactly what I thought. Why single out SLU?

few, if any fan bases are content in the a10, as a X fan we figure to wait it out until the big east breaks along football lines. Many X fans are seemingly fascinated with the valley...sure they had a great season, two years ago, just not sure it better and is certainly not markedly better than the a10.

Ideal situation...

east

g-town

seton hall

providence

st joes

st johns

temple

west

Xavier

Dayton

Marquette

ND

SLU

depaul

a dream for sure but , it forms a league with two clear divisions, east and west, of similarly sized, like-minded universities

Without the big east teams at play, the best you could do would be bring back parts of the mcc...x, butler, slu as well as creighton ext...

What do you mean by "like-minded" universities? If we were so "like-minded" with Marquette and DePaul, why could they not wait to join the Big East?

What do you mean by "like-minded" universities? If we were so "like-minded" with Marquette and DePaul, why could they not wait to join the Big East?

Pretty sure we would have joined the Big East in a heartbeat if invited but alas we weren't invited. I don't blame MU and DU for doing the same thing we would have, given the chance.

is it really a stretch to say marquette and depaul, both Catholic Universities have more alike with Slu and XU, than UC or louisville?

No.

State funded vs private, catholic vs state schools, 60,000 students or 5,ooo undergrads

Point is there is no viable alternative for the likes of slu, x and even dayton outside of the A10, even though these schools are isolated from the rest of the league and face huge travel expenses and headaches.

I'm just dreaming, X got a good look at the big east, but the choice for them in cincy was easy...uc basketball and football, there will always be rumours in the big east of the football/non football rift