Jamall Walker Update -

Harris leaves Ohio, Groce set to announce staff by JASON ARKLEY / Athens Messenger

In other Ohio (University) basketball news, the university is expected to announce the hiring of the remainder of Groce's first coaching staff later today. Chris Holtmann, Jamall Walker and Ohio alumnus Dustin Ford will be named as Groce's three assistants.

Walker comes to Athens after a one-year stop as an assistant at Murray State where he helped the Racers to an 18-13 record last season. In 2006-07 Walker was an assistant at St. Louis University - his alma mater - where he helped the Billikens to a 20-13 mark.

Walker has experience in the MAC as an assistant also; he served on the staff at Ball State from 2004-06. Walker was also an assistant at Redlands Community College from 2002-04.

Obviously, Jamal Walker and RM have no connections but I really did wish that RM would have kept Walker. Cannot argue that I'd rather have Walker than Paul B. last year but, as it turns out, Paul B. is now gone and Walker would still be here. Also, I think Walker will have a good future in college basketball.

Obviously, Jamal Walker and RM have no connections but I really did wish that RM would have kept Walker. Cannot argue that I'd rather have Walker than Paul B. last year but, as it turns out, Paul B. is now gone and Walker would still be here. Also, I think Walker will have a good future in college basketball.

Having Jamal here would have helped at least with one high profile recruit. Jamal never really got a chance to show what he could do here, but Rickma had the right to bring his own people in.

Having Jamal here would have helped at least with one high profile recruit. Jamal never really got a chance to show what he could do here, but Rickma had the right to bring his own people in.

Agreed. Also, as I mentioned, it is hard to criticize replacing Walker (Brad's guy) with Paul B. RM definitely had every right to put his own guys in charge. At the same time, we had finally hired a former player as an assistant coach, he was the right age and experience for an assistant - having worked for 6 years or so for different college programs including JUCO. I would like for SLU to be a real program and part of that means that we must produce and promote from within. Also, just so there's no confusion, hiring a 24 year old as basketball operations guy is not the same as hiring a real assistant coach such as Chris Sloan, possibly Payton Jacks, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Bonner as much as everyone as a player but he has only 1 year of coaching experience - high school at that - which he was given without having to work his way up. Corey Fraizer is working his way up now but you'd probably agree that Walker has more experience (particularly college).