Benefit for SLU Athlete Bridgette Schutzman

Postcard

Normally we only send out one email per month but we have to make an exception this month for one very special event taking place this Monday, April 28th at St. Louis University High School. The event is called the Brigette Schutzman Festival of Miles and all the proceeds from the evening go to a great cause.

On December 31st Brigette Schutzman, a cross country and track athlete at St. Louis University, was involved in a terrible car accident. After several weeks in a coma and several more in intense rehab Brigette is getting better every day. There are still many months of hard work ahead and many medical bills to pay. As a way to raise money for the Schutzman family and to honor Brigette we created the Brigette Schutzman Festival of Miles with the help of Brigette's teammates at St. Louis University.

As you will see below the evening culminates with an Elite Mens Mile presented by Pronet Consulting where the athletes will be attempting to break the magical four minute barrier for the first time ever on an outdoor track in the State of Missouri. We also have junior high races, a womens race, a masters mens race and a very special high school wheelchair race. After the race there will be a post-race dinner with all the proceeds going to the Schutzman family.

Just last week we recieved the wonderful news that Brigette and her mother will be attending the event. It will be Brigette's first trip to St. Louis since the accident.

Let's show the Schutzman family that the Big River community supports one another by coming to this event and cheering like crazy for all of the athletes and of course for Brigette!

- Matt and Ben

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

THE BRIGETTE SCHUTZMAN FESTIVAL OF MILES

6:30 PM Monday April 28th, 2008

St. Louis University High School

St. Louis, MO.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:

6:30 PM: OPENING CEREMONY

6:45 PM: Junior High Boys Mile

7:00 PM: Junior High Girls Mile

7:10 PM: Wheelchair racers mile

7:20 PM: St. Louis Womens Mile Championship

7:30 PM: St. Louis Masters Mens Mile Championship

7:45 PM: MENS ELITE MILE presented by Pronet Consulting

8:15 PM: Post-Race Dinner at St. Louis University High School (all proceeds go to the Schutzman family)

TICKETS:

Entry to the meet is $5 and ALL proceeds go directly to the Schutzman family. Tickets on site only, no pre-sale.

T-SHIRTS:

Show your support for Brigette by purchasing a Brigette Schutzman Festival of Miles official T-shirt. Shirts will be available on site for $10 with ALL proceeds going directly to the Schutzman family.

ATHLETES NEEDED

WE NEED YOUR HELP!!

We still need a few more athletes for the junior high boys and girls miles as well as the womens mile and the masters mens mile. If you would like to compete or if you know of anyone who would like to compete please contact Ben at [email protected].

Each race will be announced over the PA with music cranking in the background. There will be hundreds of fans cheering for you and we promise that you will feel like you are competing in the Olympics! We would especially like to see a few more junior high athletes sign up. This will be like no other track event they have ever competed in and may be a chance for them to really fall in love with the sport. You can download an entry form for the junior high races HERE.

MENS ELITE MILE

THE BRIGETTE SCHUTZMAN

FESTIVAL OF MILES

Elite Mens Mile

presented by

The elite mens mile will be the last event on the track and will feature an attempt at the State of Missouri's first-ever outdoor sub 4 minute mile! The field features Team Indiana Elite's Jordan Fife (left), an Olympic hopeful in the 3000 meter steeplechase, as well as native St. Louisans Neville Miller, Jeremy Doherty and Carter Snow.

If you have never seen a sub 4 minute mile this is your chance! The athletes will have a little extra incentive to break four on this night as they will be battling for a $2000 prize purse that includes the Big River Bonus, an extra $1000 to the winner if he breaks four minutes.

The Field:

Blake Boldon- USA, Saucony, 3:59 miler, US Olympic Trials Qualifier (1500)

Jordan Fife- USA, Team Indiana Elite, 3:59 miler, US Olympic Trials Qualifier (Steeplechase)

Neville Miller- USA, New York Athletic Club, 4:03 miler, US Olympic Trials Qualifier (800 meters)

Marcus Mayes- USA, unattached, 1:47 800 meter PR, US Olympic Trials Qualifier (800 meters)

Timothy Dunne- USA, New York Athletic Club, 1:47 800 meter PR

Tommy Schmitz- USA, Unattached, 4:05 miler

Brian Lyons- USA, Big River Running Company, 2008 St. Patricks Day Parade Run Champion

Jeremy Doherty- USA, Big River Running Company, 4:04 miler

Carter Snow, USA, Big River Running Company, Multiple time NAIA All-American

FULL MENS BIOS HERE

THE PRIZE STRUCTURE:

1st = $1000

2nd = $600

3rd = $400

BIG RIVER BONUS:

Win and Break 4 minutes = $1000

Post-Race Dinner

SPAGHETTI DINNER ONLY $15

As a way to cap off a great night Brigette's St. Louis University teammates will be hosting a post-race spaghetti dinner at St. Louis University High School. The cost of the dinner is only $15 and ALL PROCEEDS go directly to the Schutzman family.

The dinner will feature a panel Q & A with the elite athletes and they will be available for autographs and pictures as well.

There are a limited number of tickets available for the dinner. You may visit the event website HERE to print out your dinner ticket and reserve your seat. There are a limited number of tickets available. You may also sign up for the dinner at either Big River Running Company location.

SEE YOU THERE!!

If someone wanted to donate to the cause but wasn't able to make the race or the dinner is their a pay-pal account or other such option?

You could contact the guys who run Big River Running - the running store that is organizing the event:

Matt - [email protected] or Ben - [email protected]

BTW, Big River is a great store. They just opened their second store on Macklind in South St. Louis.

You could contact the guys who run Big River Running - the running store that is organizing the event:

Matt - [email protected] or Ben - [email protected]

BTW, Big River is a great store. They just opened their second store on Macklind in South St. Louis.

I've emailed them. I'm waiting for a response as we speak. I'll post something as soon as I hear back from them.

Hello Bills fans,

I was alerted by a couple of SLU alums that there was some talk about Monday's event on this board. First of all, thank you so much for taking an interest in Brigette and for your willingness to support this great cause. When Brigette's teammates coaches, teammates and myself sat down to figure out what might be an appropriate fundraiser for the Schutzman family this Festival of Miles seemed like the obvious choice. Brigette was a fantastic competitor on the track so to come together for a night of mile races (one of Brigette's best events) was perfect.

To paint a picture for all of you as to what you will see Monday night if you can make it to the event; the evening will begin with opening ceremonies at 6:30 PM which will include a tribute to Brigette and an appearance by her. For those who don't know it will be her first trip back to St. Louis since her accident. The races will commence at 6:45 with a junior high boys mile, followed by a junior high girls mile, a wheelchair mile, a womens mile and a masters mens mile before things culminate with the Elite Mens Mile (graciously sponsored by Pronet Consulting) where the athletes will be trying to break four minutes for the first time outdoors in the State of Missouri. During all the races we will have the music cranking from the press box and there will be tons of fans cheering on the athletes. The SLU students will be selling t-shirts to help raise more money and will be hosting a spaghetti dinner afterwards with all the proceeds going directly to the Schutzman family. I guarantee it will be a very special night and one that you will not want to miss.

If you would like to donate money to the cause but for some reason cannot attend the event you may mail a check payable to St. Louis University Track and Field (list Schutzman Mile in the memo line) to:

Coach Jon Bell

St. Louis University

3672 West Pine Mall

St. Louis, MO 63108

Thanks again for your interest in this event and of course for Brigette. If at all possible I encourage you to attend the Festival of Miles and show Brigette and her mom that the St. Louis community supports one another and that when she returns to school here she will be in good hands.

Sincerely,

Ben Rosario

Big River Running Company

for more event info check out www.bigriverrunning.com

Good stuff, I was tearing up looking at those and I don't even know her. I hope she makes a full recovery. One of my biggest fears is myself or anyone close to me getting paralyzed. So many fat people just sit around and act fat and ride elevators and eat buckets of cheese whiz when people like Bridgette want nothing more than to stand up and go RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!! People need to take advantage of what they've got while they've got it.

Way to go Bridgette, God bless you.

Good stuff, I was tearing up looking at those and I don't even know her. I hope she makes a full recovery. One of my biggest fears is myself or anyone close to me getting paralyzed. So many fat people just sit around and act fat and ride elevators and eat buckets of cheese whiz when people like Bridgette want nothing more than to stand up and go RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!! People need to take advantage of what they've got while they've got it.

Way to go Bridgette, God bless you.

Right on. I wasn't able to make the event, but it sounds like it was a big success. I like the fact that the SLU community and the local running community is taking care of one of its own. I gotta think that Bridgette, being a disciplined athlete, will kick arse when it comes to rehab.

And you're dead-on about the fat slobs. Just look at the crowd shots during any Cards home game - ugh. I can't tell you how often people in my building get on the elevator to go up or down one floor. Meanwhile, I try to take the stairs up to my 9th floor office as much as possible.

Right on. I wasn't able to make the event, but it sounds like it was a big success. I like the fact that the SLU community and the local running community is taking care of one of its own. I gotta think that Bridgette, being a disciplined athlete, will kick arse when it comes to rehab.

And you're dead-on about the fat slobs. Just look at the crowd shots during any Cards home game - ugh. I can't tell you how often people in my building get on the elevator to go up or down one floor. Meanwhile, I try to take the stairs up to my 9th floor office as much as possible.

Rich get rich, poor get poorer, fat get fatter, etc. etc. Same here, even when I came to work w/ two sprained ankles, or a ruptured ACL/MCL, I still took the stairs, because it's FASTER. It affords me more time to do what I want, rather than what I have to do. If I thought I could run up the stairs to the sixth floor faster than take the elevator, I would. Whenever we have big meetings or fire drills downstairs and there's big crowds, I take the stairs, so I can get back to work sooner, so I can leave work sooner to LIVE MY LIFE, which is the whole point.

And yeah, she'll do well in rehab; it takes will power and a decent pain threshold, both of which any collegiate athlete will have in spades.

Rich get rich, poor get poorer, fat get fatter, etc. etc. Same here, even when I came to work w/ two sprained ankles, or a ruptured ACL/MCL, I still took the stairs, because it's FASTER. It affords me more time to do what I want, rather than what I have to do. If I thought I could run up the stairs to the sixth floor faster than take the elevator, I would. Whenever we have big meetings or fire drills downstairs and there's big crowds, I take the stairs, so I can get back to work sooner, so I can leave work sooner to LIVE MY LIFE, which is the whole point.

And yeah, she'll do well in rehab; it takes will power and a decent pain threshold, both of which any collegiate athlete will have in spades.

Posted Image