Spring Fever

Band Man

As many of you may already know, some of the performers for Spring Fever in the Chaifetz Arena were announced earlier this week by SAB in the U-News. The event will take place on April 26th and the theme is, "Rock, Rap, and Rawhide." The three acts that have been announced are Augustana, The Starting Line, and St. Louis' own, Chingy. It was indicated that a country act would also perform (but for some reason couldn't be named yet), and they were working on booking a comedian to MC the event.

Overall, I think SAB did a decent job with this considering their lackluster recent track record. They tried to appeal to all interests and for the most part got some pretty relevant and big name acts. I am, however, curious as to why the country act will be the "big" finale considering the poor turnout and general disinterest when Chris Cagle (sp?) performed a few years back for homecoming. Hopefully it will be a country act that isn't too twangy and that most people can enjoy.

Should be fun!

Evidently the two remaining acts that weren't originally listed are country artists, Tyler Hilton and Jo Dee Messina. Although I am not a huge country music fan (although some artists and songs I do enjoy), I'd venture to question how popular these two artists are on college campuses. Sampling some of their music it seems to be fairly laid back and ballad-esque. Based on this I once again question SAB's thought process in making these country acts as their "main" acts to finish the show. The earlier performers posted (Starting Line and Chingy in particular) at least are very up-beat and energetic (not to mention they are more popular among the college age group). It seems to me these would be better choices to have as your "main event."

Evidently the two remaining acts that weren't originally listed are country artists, Tyler Hilton and Jo Dee Messina. Although I am not a huge country music fan (although some artists and songs I do enjoy), I'd venture to question how popular these two artists are on college campuses. Sampling some of their music it seems to be fairly laid back and ballad-esque. Based on this I once again question SAB's thought process in making these country acts as their "main" acts to finish the show. The earlier performers posted (Starting Line and Chingy in particular) at least are very up-beat and energetic (not to mention they are more popular among the college age group). It seems to me these would be better choices to have as your "main event."

Interesting lineup. The 'festival' format was one of the few possibilities that I'd hoped SAB would put together when the Spring Fever event was discussed on this board a while back. I like it because people don't have to stay the whole time, can come in and out for what they want to see, and most people will have something they'd be interested enough to wander over to the arena for. Personally I'm not a fan of anyone in the lineup and I would get out of there before any country act took the stage, but I would probably still go with a group if I were still at SLU.

As many of you may already know, some of the performers for Spring Fever in the Chaifetz Arena were announced earlier this week by SAB in the U-News. The event will take place on April 26th and the theme is, "Rock, Rap, and Rawhide." The three acts that have been announced are Augustana, The Starting Line, and St. Louis' own, Chingy. It was indicated that a country act would also perform (but for some reason couldn't be named yet), and they were working on booking a comedian to MC the event.

Overall, I think SAB did a decent job with this considering their lackluster recent track record. They tried to appeal to all interests and for the most part got some pretty relevant and big name acts. I am, however, curious as to why the country act will be the "big" finale considering the poor turnout and general disinterest when Chris Cagle (sp?) performed a few years back for homecoming. Hopefully it will be a country act that isn't too twangy and that most people can enjoy.

Should be fun!

Last year was Robert Randolph and the Family Band which was far closer to "Stellar" than "Lackluster". Great music and good outdoor weather.

Seeing a show in the Chaifetz will definitely be pretty cool though...