Drake Bulldogs

DoctorB

got a ticket Sunday and my friend insisted that I go see the Drake Bulldogs in the MVC championship -- he assured me that I would fall in love with this team, if I really were truly a Hoosier at heart.

Guess what? my friend was right. Excellent spacing, good ball movement, two former walk-ons in the starting lineup, one of which is a point guard from hell, like the old days--what a penetrator! MVP by far. They reminded me of another bulldogs team -- Butler, my Dad's alma mater, whom they did in fact BEAT earlier in the year.

I doubt if Drake has the sheer athletic talent to keep up with the #1 seeds likew UNC, but I do at least know which team to root for in the tournament this year (besides those other Bullddogs from Indy). How about a little love for Drake?? Actually, they could be a 4 or 5 seed and make the Sweet 16 for sure, where they would probably have to play a #1 seed to advance. I think I will pick them for an upset special this year. This is a very easy team to like.

ps -- Illinois State was pretty unimpresseive, if not completely gassed from the consecutive games. Those are the boys that Porter Moser recruited, btw.

pss Drake has been pretty terrible for years. Great new young coach, son of Dr. Tom Davis. Final 4 back in the Lew Alcindor period!

got a ticket Sunday and my friend insisted that I go see the Drake Bulldogs in the MVC championship -- he assured me that I would fall in love with this team, if I really were truly a Hoosier at heart.

Guess what? my friend was right. Excellent spacing, good ball movement, two former walk-ons in the starting lineup, one of which is a point guard from hell, like the old days--what a penetrator! MVP by far. They reminded me of another bulldogs team -- Butler, my Dad's alma mater, whom they did in fact BEAT earlier in the year.

I doubt if Drake has the sheer athletic talent to keep up with the #1 seeds likew UNC, but I do at least know which team to root for in the tournament this year (besides those other Bullddogs from Indy). How about a little love for Drake?? Actually, they could be a 4 or 5 seed and make the Sweet 16 for sure, where they would probably have to play a #1 seed to advance. I think I will pick them for an upset special this year. This is a very easy team to like.

ps -- Illinois State was pretty unimpresseive, if not completely gassed from the consecutive games. Those are the boys that Porter Moser recruited, btw.

pss Drake has been pretty terrible for years. Great new young coach, son of Dr. Tom Davis. Final 4 back in the Lew Alcindor period!

I'm with you on Drake. What a fun team to watch. I agree that with a 4 or 5 seed they could be Sweet 16 bound. If they shoot the ball like they have all year I don't see why they wouldn't make it that far. Illinois St. is a better team than what they showed on Sunday. I don't know if they're a tourney team or not though. They're right on that bubble.

I also watched the ESPN game where Drake beat Butler at Hinkle Fieldhouse earlier this year- that was a great win. Keno Davis is going to draw offers from every school with a vacancy over the next two months. I'm interested to see how long he stays at Drake. What he's done there this year is nothing short of spectacular. He should be a finalist for national coach of the year for sure.

I'm with you on Drake. What a fun team to watch. I agree that with a 4 or 5 seed they could be Sweet 16 bound. If they shoot the ball like they have all year I don't see why they wouldn't make it that far. Illinois St. is a better team than what they showed on Sunday. I don't know if they're a tourney team or not though. They're right on that bubble.

during the regular season illinois state lost to drake by 3 and 6points.

in both games isu had double digit leads in the second half of both games

before losing.

i think isu in the ncaa tourney when you look at the total body of work.

I'm interested to see how long he stays at Drake.

I'm very interested in this as well. If he is truly a superior coach- and it looks to me that this team of Drake's suggests that he is- he will not stay at Drake past this next month. His "mid-major credential" stock simply cannot get any higher and in fact would almost have to drop next year.

So, does he go to a place like IN, or OR State, etc. (BCS)? Or does he stay @ Drake and watch his credentials take a hit, a la Chris Lowery?

when you look at their rpi, conference ranking, strength of schedule.

isu will be in on sunday. just my feeling.

Smoke and mirrors, but the MVC is good at playing the RPI game. I'm not saying you're wrong about ISU getting in, but who have they beat?

I'm sure they have a decent SOS, but that doesn't mean they actually played anyone (look at their schedule if you don't believe me).

I guess i'm just sick of the MVC smoke and mirrors b.s. (kudos to elgin and the MVC for gaming the system really well). That being said, and as much as I don't care to cheer for the MVC (mostly because of its fans), Drake was fun to watch.

i was at the drake game sunday and was truly entertained. imo that is what basketball should be. it amazes me that the powers to be arent smart enough to cater the trends and officiating to force teams to gravitate to a drake or butler style of basketball instead of the rugby we get now.

I'm very interested in this as well. If he is truly a superior coach- and it looks to me that this team of Drake's suggests that he is- he will not stay at Drake past this next month. His "mid-major credential" stock simply cannot get any higher and in fact would almost have to drop next year.

So, does he go to a place like IN, or OR State, etc. (BCS)? Or does he stay @ Drake and watch his credentials take a hit, a la Chris Lowery?

It will be a tough situation for Drake because they're going to have to buck up to keep him. He seems to be a great personality fit at the school, in Des Moines, and in the Valley and has coached that team to a fantastic record without a bunch of 4-star recruits. But he also seems like a guy who could thrive anywhere. Anyway, his phone is about to start ringing off the hook, so we're going to see how much money means to him. I don't know what Drake is paying him but I imagine they're going to have to at least double it. They were not even on the map until what he's done this season.

You make a great point in that there's nowhere to go but down after this season, barring a miracle next year. As far as I know, Keno Davis doesn't have any baggage. I don't know much about his recruiting ability, but Indiana has a great appreciation for guys who can make winners out of kids that aren't the best athletes around, and they need to get back to the squeaky-clean image after the Sampson fiasco.

Smoke and mirrors, but the MVC is good at playing the RPI game. I'm not saying you're wrong about ISU getting in, but who have they beat?

I'm sure they have a decent SOS, but that doesn't mean they actually played anyone (look at their schedule if you don't believe me).

I guess i'm just sick of the MVC smoke and mirrors b.s. (kudos to elgin and the MVC for gaming the system really well). That being said, and as much as I don't care to cheer for the MVC (mostly because of its fans), Drake was fun to watch.

they did play indiana around thanksgiving in a tournament in chicago.

I don't know much about his recruiting ability, but Indiana has a great appreciation for guys who can make winners out of kids that aren't the best athletes around ...

Many of the current Bulldogs and recent signees--those from Michigan in particular--were recruited by assistant coach Chris Davis. Chris is not related to Keno, former head coach Tom Davis, or fellow assistant Rodell Davis.

I'm confident that if Keno leaves, Drake will hire someone named Davis as his replacement. After all, there are a lot of them to choose from.

C'mon moytoy. "Playing the RPI game"? When we listened to UB last year chortle through half his coach's shows last year how he had RPI "all figured out" after "locking himself in his office" for two weeks over the summer? Many on this board thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread and Brad's half cocked strategy of playing teams like Loyola and Pacific was going to wave the magic RPI wand over us last year and produce a tourney bid.

I'm no Valley fan but I find your post about RPI to be totally hypocritical.

C'mon moytoy. "Playing the RPI game"? When we listened the UB last year chortle through half his coach's shows last year how he had RPI "all figured out" after "locking himself in his office" for two weeks over the summer? Many on this board thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread and Brad's half cocked strategy of playing teams like Loyala and Pacific were going to wave the magic RPI wand over us last year and produce a tourney bid.

I'm no Valley fan but I find your post about RPI to be totally hypocritical.

Um..if I would have supported Brad's theory, then I could rightfully be called a hypocrite. But I don't remember stating an opinion either way.