Izik an enigma

Quickdraw

Earlier in the season we were suggesting that Izik's play was reminiscent of Seikue Barentine's. I have to say that he has progressed far beyond that. His play is frequently impressive. I would even disagree with the frequent criticism of his speed--I don't think he is slow. He is kind of gangly which may make him seem less swift. Ian is slower, but still not a leadfoot.

What I have trouble with is how he can look so good on one trip down the court and so inept on the next. He can make tremendous moves in the paint--one time to set up a finger roll from 8 feet away which hits nothing but net; the next time to set up a fling toward the backboard which hasn't a prayer. Even when he makes a jump shot the look he gives you can be quite varied. Sometimes it's a soft, arching shot that's picture-perfect; other times it has no arc at all--a horizontal bullet, which still may go in!

His defense has improved dramatically. I don't cringe to see him dribble the ball up court--for a big man he controls it well. But when he makes those moves in the paint he tends to crouch down low as he dribbles and frequently loses the handle. Watching him play is a real adventure, and one which I am enjoying immensely!

Quickdraw, I think you were selectively reading the board early in the season. Most everyone was saying that Izik would be fine at wing (per Brad's plan) because he has the quickest first step of any 6'9" guy we have seen this side of the NBA. Everyone was in agreement that Izik brings athleticism to the front court--hops and quick feet. Defense and rebounding were the question-marks with Izik and I would agree with you that he looks much better on D the second half of the season.

You may be confusing the comments about Ian. Ian is slow afoot--although I thought he ran hard to get back on defense on Sat. IO is actually very fast for his size and has an extremely quick first step for any player.

His inconsistancy has come from--I am quoting the coaches--his constant emphasis on drills when playing in Israel rather than 5 on 5 games. YOu can see him getting better every week! the biggest improvement is his understanding of floor balance. Early this year when he was on the perimeter against a big man he knew he could beat off the dribble he would merely beat him and set sail for the hoop. the problem is that he would not understand that there were several people clogging the lane with a shot blocker behind. He would often lose the ball to a collapsing guard, commit a charge, get the shot blocked or put up a runner that had little chance. Now he sees the floor much better and he understands the best way to beat his man is when the defense is rotating to the opposite side.

His defense is also much improved. there was legitimate concern for his inability to move his feet when guarding a quick big man and his failure to understand help defense but he has improved in both areas.

I am not sure people compared him to SB but as recently as last week at least one poster called the recruiting class a bust--obviously wrong!!

Izik frustrated me more than anybody earlier in the season. I must concede he has gotten better recently at both ends of the floor. He can be an exciting player and I'm getting optimistic again about his future. When he played with Ian, that was an interesting combo. They both pass the ball well.