Andy Katz - News Vacuum at Saint Louis

moytoy12

From espn.com (insider):

posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry

"There is an information shutdown on Saint Louis. But one thing is certain: No news conference was scheduled for Wednesday.

And, according to a school spokesperson, there doesn't appear to be one on the horizon for Thursday.

All that is known so far is that former Utah coach and current ESPN analyst Rick Majerus interviewed Saturday in St. Louis. This story has ranged from Majerus accepting the job to the situation imploding.

So, the rest of the coaching carousel waits as Majerus and SLU decide what they're next move will be in the coming days. There are certainly viable alternatives, like ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla, Kent State coach Jim Christian and/or Purdue assistant Cuonzo Martin. But clearly the onus is on Majerus and SLU to come to a resolution.

The one thing that seems to be out there that is hardly true is that Saint Louis is on the verge of leaving the Atlantic 10 for the Missouri Valley Conference.

MVC commissioner Doug Elgin said that there had been no formal or informal discussions with Saint Louis about membership. He said adding the Billikens, which makes geographic sense since the MVC office is in St. Louis, would disrupt the makeup of the league since the conference is at 10, an easy number to handle in scheduling.

That doesn't mean the Valley would be against adding the Billikens. It just means there has been no official or unofficial contact."

I know I defended Bernie in another thread, but he was the ONLY one to mention SLU to the MVC...and it started a little storm of its own.

As I have been saying, nothing is done yet. Remember, we said this weekend if this lasted til Thursday we would be worried.