Article from Timmerman

>http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...40?OpenDocument

>

>Gives the idea that even if Majerus decides within the next

>24-48 hours that he wants to coach again, that won't

>necessarily guarantee that he will be coaching at SLU.

If Rick wants the job, it is his. 1) Does he want to leave his current personal and professional situation? 2) How much does he like the opportunity presented to him at SLU?

In order to land him, it needs to be an At homerun effort, and still, not sure if he would take it at this time.

He is the candidate.

The key to the Timmerman article to remember is that he hasn't had long conversations with Majerus like Frank C. has. Timmerman appears on the periphery of these conversations just getting the standard response we would all expect to get on the record from a candidate for a job.

If nothing has been settled by monday morning, I'm paying attention to Frank C.'s comments on the air. If he is still in a positive mood re: RM, then I'm still on the side that this could certainly happen.

Timmerman is just playing catch up at this point and has no real relationship with RM...Cus does.

Band, I hope you're right here. Again, if RM is allowed the funds to hire good AC's, recruiting is not going to be that hard on him. First, AAU Coaches, HS coaches, and JUCO coaches will not have the reservations of steering a kid our way, that I suspect they had with UB. Hiring RM would change the landscape of Billiken hoops.

As I have constantly stated, "RM will not be the next coach at SLU". The positive though is that maybe in his meeting with Biondi or whomever he met with, he enlightened them on the budget that it takes to run a successful D-1 basketball program. If in fact SLU's budget has been 2.1 million, that's a crying shame. Break it down.

Head coach $500,000 with benefits and expenses.

Scholarships 13 times $40,000 counting summer school equals $520,000.

Travel $30,000 to $50,000 per trip depending on commercial or charter times 12 flying trips this year equals 4-500,000. Asst coach salaries of somewhere around $250,000 puts the total around 1.7 million. Then of course there is a portion of salaries for a trainer, strength coach, AD and Asst. Ads,and SID. Scholarship for a student trainer and a secretary salary and who knows what else..

Easy to see not much left for recruiting.

Hopefully Rm open Biondis eyes to what it takes to make it easier for the next coach, whoever that it. My guess, RM says no on Monday and SLU names a new coach on Wednesday.