Who I would hire-from an outsider

Bluesman

As an outsider, whose team quite frankly would be better off if you made a bad hire, I think you should step back from the whole "make a splash, hire a big name" mentality and look at two other options, both of which I think make a lot of sense for SLU. Those two have been mentioned already but so far aren't getting much play on this board. And they are Kim Anderson, head coach at DII Central Missouri State and former assistant at Mizzou, and Cuonzo Martin, in his 7th year at Purdue, their top assistant, and from the St. Louis area. Both are doing well in their current positions, have ties to Missouri, presumably have some connection to the St. Louis area and HS coaches, and are relatively young. And to the extent this is a consideration, probably a lot cheaper than Gillen, Majerus etc. Just my two cents worth. Sure will be interesting to see how this develops. I do think this was a terrible time to change coaches as you have probably screwed the pooch as far as any further recruits for 2007. Seems to me this decision should have been made as soon as the season for SLU ended. Of course, should you hire the "big name" guy quickly, he might be able to salvage a recruit or two by name recognition alone. Who knows, but in my opinion, a very bad move timing wise.

Frankly, this was time coming for BS and not untimely IMO. Remember Big Bad Bobby Huggins? He brought some talent in to K-State this past year and made that program respectible. In one year!!!! When did he have time to recruit? Granted he totally shafted that U and left them high and dry and is totally shady. The point is that canning a coach now is not 'screwing any pooch' for the upcoming season. If you at least assume that SLU has been or was talking with someone, they might have some talent lined up or at least have contacts out in the HS or JC level. IMO, a little too quick to state that SLU made a bad timing decision. 5 years is enough for BS and time for a change.....

As a outsider guess dosn't matter much what I think, however I'll toss my 2cents in anyway.

Some on here seen intent on hiring a "name" coach?

Some object to a Div-2 coach?

Some don't want a coach who is 60 yrs old ?

I say you need a proven winner period.

I would rather have a D-2 coach who has been a winner forever than a name coach that has a so-so record.

AGE, I agree get a older coach "Pete" or who ever with Assistants ready to move up in couple yrs. Most mature{ ok older} coaches know HOW to win and won't be looking to move on.

Hey the winniest Coach in College basketball is in his 70's and still going strong and SLU had a chance to hire him few years ago and should have {to late now }.