Underclassmen who should have offers.

VTIME

This is a list of local underclassmen from the area, some who have offers from SLU and some who dont.

John Brandenburg 6'11 C Desmet HS

Brett Thompson 6'11 PF Vienna HS

Scott Sugss 6'6 SG/SF Washington HS

Jesse Perry 6'7 G/F Gateway Tech HS

Kenny Harris 6'6 SG/SF Gateway Tech HS

Josh McCoy 6'4 SG Fort Zumwalt South HS

Torres Roundtree 6'3 PG/SG McCluer North HS

Anthony Booker 6'8 SF/PF McCluer North HS

Femi John 6'4 G McCluer North HS

Abel Tillman 6'8 PF/C Berkeley

Cornelius Chatt 6'4 SG Madison HS

Kenny Leverette 6'3 PG O'Fallon HS

Cornelius Walker 6'3 SG Vashon

(Bubble kids)Names to watch who need to have a great prove themselves this summer to get an offer in this EXTREMELY DEEP 2008 area class:

Anthony James 6'1 G Normandy HS

Dezman Hickman 6'4 G/F Collinsville HS

Darian Sain 5'10 PG East St. Louis

Courtney Belger PG Gateway Tech HS

Drew Hanlen 6'0 PG Webster Groves HS

Kramer Soderberg 5'10 SG St. Charles West HS

Brian McGee 6'8 PF Jennings HS

Pierre Desir 6'2 SG Howell Central

Barry Robinson 5'9 Pg Barry Robinson

Jordan Loveless 6'6 PF Metro HS

Brandon Harold 6'8 C East St. Louis

Richard Anderson 6'8 PF/C Beaumont HS

Tyler Griffey 6'8 SF/PF

Bryant Allen 6'0 PG/SG

Doug Wallace 6'1 SG

Bubble kids

Gavin Wiss 6'9 C Fort Zumwalt West

Lonnie Boga 6'1 SG McCluer

Jerome Jones 6'6 PF Career Academy

Jarion Norris 6'4 G/F Cahokia

Not really bubble kids, but top freshman this past season, not all D1 prospects, just the top so far.

Julian Johnson 6'3 G Whitfield

McPherson Moore 6'1 SG MICDS

Nathan Scheer 6'2 SG Borgia

Isaac McClendon 5'5 PG Wellson

Bryton Hobbs 5'10 PG Maplewood

Ryan Pierson 6'8 C CBC

Yeah, I'm sure they would all commit. Wouldnt that be a big problem to deal with. I didn't know Bob Huggins was our head recruiter. I hope you are sincere and some of the posters appreciate the depth of list. STL area basketball is back. Tons of talent right now.

Drew Hanlen and Kramer Soderberg aren't bubble kids in the 2008 class, but Cornelius Chatt, Abel Tillman and Cornelius Walker are.

Gavin Wiss is the third-best sophomore, ahead of Doug Wallace. In terms of potential, Wiss is one of the top prospects in the St. Louis area — not far behind Suggs, Brandenburg and Griffey.

- Nate

I wasnt really going on potential. If you want to do potential then wouldnt you say that Tillman has more potential than Soderberg or Hanlen. Tillman is definitely no bubble kid. Wiss is oozing with potential and if he can have a good summer the offers will come, probably more than Wallace, but as of now Wallace has the game worthy of an offer from Bills right now in my opinion. He's physical, he can handle, he can shoot from the deep and midrange. He can play pg. He can do a little of everything. He was the best among a very good quartet around Tillman. Chatt isnt a bubble kid in my opinion either. Another rugged kid from the other side of river. Now stands 6'4. Great shooting touch, athletic, 19ppg average. Definitely not on the bubble. Walker maybe, but I gave him the nod because he does really go nuts on the AAU scene. If he has a bad summer I would probably take him off.

V:

I like your aggressive style but I agree with Nate on Tillman. The kid has outstanding defensive skills - I saw him make three consecutive blocks against Jennings - but virtually 0 offensive skills. His last two games against Jennings and Westminister he scored a total of 4 pts. Also gets in quick foul trouble. He's someone to watch but not offer yet. We need scorers !

::Yawn::, way overrated. He's a guy who gets by because he's bigger and more physically mature than his opponents. If you saw that o'fallon got to the state finals and were impressed, remember it was not against the chicago schools-they beat each other to get to the finals. I just was not impressed watching him. I don't see what he would add to SLU. BTW, he's not a point guard and he didn't play one this year.

Age difference of Abel and Gavin aside, I agree with VTime and Nate.

I saw Tillman again Sat. with the Falcons. He is a VERY good defensive player and is improving offensively - and playing a summer of AAU, against better bigs, will help him in that regard.

Wiss and the Eagles 16U's have started strong. I think he will be a good one by his senior year.

Just one man's opinion......

>::Yawn::, way overrated. He's a guy who gets by because he's

>bigger and more physically mature than his opponents. If you

>saw that o'fallon got to the state finals and were

>impressed, remember it was not against the chicago

>schools-they beat each other to get to the finals. I just

>was not impressed watching him. I don't see what he would

>add to SLU. BTW, he's not a point guard and he didn't play

>one this year.

If you read the Fab Five article Earl says he played pg most of the time. Why would Earl lie. You dont think Earl went to the games. He's just making stuff up?

>V:

>

>I like your aggressive style but I agree with Nate on

>Tillman. The kid has outstanding defensive skills - I saw

>him make three consecutive blocks against Jennings - but

>virtually 0 offensive skills. His last two games against

>Jennings and Westminister he scored a total of 4 pts. Also

>gets in quick foul trouble. He's someone to watch but not

>offer yet. We need scorers !

He's come along way in that regard. IF you went to those games, can you honestly say that the team made a concentrated effort to give him the ball where he could use his height advantage inside. If they would just work inside out, they could be a pretty dominant team in Class 4. He just needs more touches and scoring opportunities to get more comfortable using his skills. I've seen him get tip dunks in many games, coming from out of nowhere. His touch out to 10 feet isnt bad, and neither is his FT touch. I'd offer him. He's the top defensive presence to come out of the area since Darius Miles. He had 6 dunks against Normandy. Give him the ball. He's an incredible athlete. Incredible. We cant let incredibley 6'8 guys go.

>offers from where??

>certainly you don't mean slu for all of these

Yes. I think I listed maybe 12 guys at the most. Suggs probably isnt coming. Neither is Brandenburg since he wants to go ACC. Booker and Roundtree are committed. So its what 8 offers for 5 spots. That's not even close to being too many. You have to give more than offer per spot or when kids start committing you have no backup plans because you didnt offer the kids early. Then you end up recruiting in the spring.

I am not quite sure why some people on the board think that there is a rule against making more offers than you have scholarships. Its called aggressive recruiting. For example, this spring we have made - at last count - at least 6-7 offers with only 3 scholarships left. You sort it out by telling players that the first 3 guys that accept get the scholarships. The other approach, which is what I suspect Brad has done, is to tell the 2 PG recruits that we will only give one PG scholarship and the first guy that signs gets it. Likewise with the PF/C and SG slots.

V-Time: although I agree with your basic approach, I don't think you should be projecting failure with Suggs and Brandenburg this early. Those are the type of players we've got to get if we are going to move forward. Particularly with Brandenburg, I think our chances are good.

I think Kramer will be fine as a back-up point guard in college to start his career.

He shoots it well from deep, has good body control, deceptive speed and quickness.

A lot of high school fans say he's not a point guard because he plays more shooting guard at height-challenged St. Charles West, but he handles the ball well enough to play point.

Would I expect him to start from day one at SLU? No.

But I do think he could contribute off the bench for a couple years before taking over as a starter as a junior or senior.

- Nate

Drew Hanlen already has Division I offers, and that's not just based on potential.

Kramer Soderberg will play Division I basketball.

Tillman has work to do to get to the level of those other two. He's a great defensive player, but unless you are 6-10 to 7-2, you can't get away with only being a defensive player inside at the next level.

He needs to get stronger, add weight and work on his offensive game. I know he doesn't touch the ball as much as he should for Berkeley, but when he does he needs to be able to do more than throw down alley-oops.

I'd take Gavin Wiss in a heartbeat over Tillman, even though Wiss is a year younger. Wiss is taller, has a better body and can be a factor on both ends of the floor. I don't know if Wiss has any offers at this point, but he should.

Doug Wallace is a nice player, but he's not worthy of a scholarship at this time. He has a ways to go to get to the level of a Hanlen or Soderberg, who were much better as sophomores than Wallace was.

I watched Chatt's playoff game against Breese Central and kept waiting to see him take over and lead his team to victory. Instead, he was passive and committed some dumb fouls and fouled out of the game as his team blew a big lead and lost. Despite what some people on the east side say, I don't see him as a D-1 player.

I do like Cornbread Walker, but if he's going to be a D-1 guy he has to bring it every night and work to get shots and actually shoot the ball. He only took one or two 3-pointers in the game against Parkway South. If he decided to be more of a factor, Vashon would have made it back to state for the fourth straight year.

- Nate

Ron Waller already committed to Western Kentucky, where his father played football, but he's one of the top players in the area.

He's 6-3, very strong and athletic and has a better feel for the game than nearly everyone else in the area.

He reminds me a little bit of Tommie Liddell.

Both have a great feel for the game and can score but aren't good jump shooters.

Liddell fixed his shot last summer. Once Waller does that, he can really be something.

Waller isn't at the level of Scott Suggs or John Brandenburg in terms of being a top prospect in the junior class, but he isn't far behind. I think you'll see him in the NCAA tournament in a couple years and be impressed with his game.

- Nate

haven't seen all these guys but i have seen kramer soderberg and jesse perry. kramer is not just a bubble guy. even if daddy's not the coach, we need to offer him. i've only seen perry once, but was not impressed at all. can't handle the ball, too skinny and no outside shot. i guess the hype is all based on his potential. if he came to slu, he'd be the worst guard on the roster.

Watch these Perry highlights vs CBC

http://prepcasts.ezstream.com/broadcasts/i...FTOKEN=74820541

Worst guard, hardly. He can handle the ball, he's not too skinny, and yes his jumper could use some work. We dont need to offer Kramer. There are better guards in 2008. Until he becomes a pg, I dont see the urgency to offer him. He's a 5'10 shooting guard. He's surrounded by shooters and should average way more assists.

Hey V.. how many of these underclassmen "cannot" handle the academics at SLU. I have no idea as to the grades of any of these guys. It does no good for the coach's to offer kids that cannot hack it academically at SLU. Agreed? That might just trim your list down some... I'm not asking for anyone or you to post GPA's either. So please don't even if you know them. Which would scare me a if you did, and I'm fearless too.

That is just one criteria that the coach's use before handing out an offer. There are several others too.

I only know about the grades of one of them.

I'm pretty sur the one you are referring to can handle SLU's academics and handle the all the touches he will get when he lines up as the Billikens starting power forward in 2009. You know about Femi's and a couple others grades I'm sure. Even I know Femi's an honor student.

WAY OVERRATED.....Leverette..WHAT??

Either"YAWN" has bad eye sight or do not know what you are talking about.

I say you are the later.

BTW

If st louis could get Tillman locked up would do it yesterday.

Do not tell me this kid cannot rebound and he is one of the best shot blockers out of your city in a long long long time.And he will score some points too.

Doubt if they could get leverette but if your coach hasnt offered already he is a worse recruiter than what is being said on this board.

Agreed.. but you also agree that narrows the playing field just a tad right? SLU is a pretty darn good school.

And...that would be fine by me too, except I won't be making that decision. :)