Billiken Basketball Blog

I have created a new Billiken Basketball Blog at http://billikenbasketball.blogspot.com/

The primary purpose of this blog is to consolidate the great data and information shared on this board and to provide some editorial thoughts regarding such information. Despite my personal views, I do not intend for it, nor do I want it, to evolve into a fire/bash Brad board. Steve is aware of it and has no issues with it. In fact, if it is successful, I intend to move the blog to Steve's website later this spring.

The first article I have provided provides an overview of this spring's recruiting period. Please visit the blog and share any commments.

I thought this part of your blog was very accurate. And I cant understand how SIU gets a commitment from Anthony Booker, a STL kid that SLU didnt even offer. My question is why not?

David Nark wrote:

"My thoughts regarding Soderberg's Recruiting Philosophy

My biggest concern regarding Brad's recruiting philosophy--whether this spring, two years ago, or next year--is that he hasn't figured out what type of player he is targeting and he can succeed with at SLU. Look at Creighton and Carbondale, for example. Many believe that both these programs have fewer advantages than SLU in terms of geography and infrastructure. What they do very effectively, however, is almost exclusively evaluate, target, and recruit 3-star and high-potential 2-star players that are not being hounded by the super-big boys, but who will be real contributors for four years. They may settle for a 6'8" center instead of a 6'11" center or a 6'6" power forward instead of a 6'8" power forward, but their recruits are typically above-average athletes and skilled basketball players. A few of these players will be busts, once in a while a player will become a star (see Korver at Creighton), but most of the players will contribute in some meaningful way during their four years. These programs don't spend time with delusions about competing with BCS programs for most recruits--finishing second for a big recruit kills you because backup plans are typically difficult. These schools know their market, and they master it. Once you achieve consistent success with this model, you can up the ante and chase bigger fish as Gonzaga and Xavier have done with great success. I don't want to see Soderberg shoot for another Kalen Grimes only to miss on Matt Shaw and settle for Obi Okeafor. I want him to target guys like Luke Meyer and Matt Shaw from day one until his program achieves the level of success that warrants higher recruiting aspirations."