Jeff Gordon's Thoughts on the A10 Tourney

CAG

About the Billikens: They freaked out when George Washington jumped them in Atlantic City.

Watching this game reminded us why former Temple coach John Chaney kept a hulking football player on his bench. On nights when the Atlantic 10 officials took a powder -– like Friday night, for instance -– he would put his tough guy into the game to create some room for his teammates.

The Billikens needed such a player Friday night. GW swarmed them, trapped them, fouled them on almost every touch of the ball . . . and SLU could not fight through it.

Their 60-40 loss was a debacle on every level. It was a bad game in a bad league with bad officials in a bad venue in front of a bad crowd. It was a stinkfest all around.

-I agree with JG

CAG

>The Billikens needed such a player Friday night. GW swarmed

>them, trapped them, fouled them on almost every touch of the

>ball . . . and SLU could not fight through it.

>

What the 'ell is he talking about? I thought the reason we lost was because Brad couldn't adjust. We all need to get our story straight around here.

You don't agree with this:

"Their 60-40 loss was a debacle on every level. It was a bad game in a bad league with bad officials in a bad venue in front of a bad crowd. It was a stinkfest all around."

The officials sucked last night. That's not why we lost but we got hacked. I thought the crowd sucked. Maybe I'm blind, did they pack it in? The venue blew! It was built in 1929 for Christ's sake. And believe it or not the A10 is a bad conference.

CAG

>You don't agree with this:

>"Their 60-40 loss was a debacle on every level. It was a bad

>game in a bad league with bad officials in a bad venue in

>front of a bad crowd. It was a stinkfest all around."

>

>The officials sucked last night. That's not why we lost but

>we got hacked. I thought the crowd sucked. Maybe I'm

>blind, did they pack it in? The venue blew! It was built

>in 1929 for Christ's sake. And believe it or not the A10 is

>a bad conference.

>

>CAG

I was riffing on the angst of so many of our fans about why we lost. There are a million potential reasons, but it seems like Brad took the lions share of the venom last night. I just didn't see a way out of that nightmare with coaching. We were hit by a freight train and good ol Dustin Maguire on the tracks wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

I can't tell one thing or the other about the crowd, but it would have been much better had the tourney been held in DC or Cincy or whatever.

I do agree that the A10 is a bad conference. I think it would be bad even if we had three top 20 teams. I think the Big East is a bad conference. To me, you need geographic contiguity to truly have a good conference. But that's not what most fans are interested in arguing about.

as long as the officials let a team push, pull, bite, kick, etc, that is going to be an ugly game.

that said, no one says we cant do the same thing. those asking why there were not adjustments made are right. liddell is supposed to be the best slasher on the team in years and he just kept dribbling to a sideline and picking up his dribble. my gosh, go to the basket tommie!!!

same with lisch, brown and polk. guess what, you get past those traps you have a 5 on 3 to the basket.