VTIME....

SLUSER

Roy,

Well said. From reading those RFT articles regarding Vashon and understanding public schools systems and eligibility requirements, your home address dictates where you can go to a public school. Plain and simple. There is really no discussion with that. These boundaries have been set for years by some Board - State or Local - and you cannot simply give an address that is within the borders and say you go to that school when in fact you do not physically live there. It is cheating the system!!!

I think what Bonner did is commendable and ethical. He should not be chastised one bit for what he did.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they knew he transferred but never moved? then the gateway tech coach and athletic director should have been fired and be it bonner or anyone else that turned them in, why would you hold doing the right thing against them? good for them.

if all his players are exceeding academic standards then he benefits the kids. but anything that retards a student academically is wrong. sports should ALWAYS be secondary to a high school student. the coach that puts sports above academics should not be a coach.

If you no you're not a bright kid, and the resources arent at your disposal to get the help, you know you better do something else well to get to college. I dont see how sports should always be secondary. They might be a kids only hope in a lot of circumstances. Schools always came first with me in college, but thats because if I didnt understand something there were help labs and things set up for me to succeed. In high school, there usually isnt and your focus goes elsewhere. You start looking for other avenues to get ahead. Like thinking about tech schools.

vtime, if bonner is following in irons footsteps than he too should be fired. there is no one here defending bonner on that if true.

this discussion is about irons, but if you want to say bonner is also doing it, then bonner should also be fired.

now that i said that, are you saying that there is a kid that is commuting daily from hannibal missouri to play basketball at vashon?

and i don t even know what or where career academy is? it that a school that has a mapped district that the student should be going to career academy if they lived in that particular school district?

vtime, it is my guess that the parents of these kids are so screwed up visionwise that they honestly believe that it is more important to play basketball for a floyd irons coached vashon team than get a better education at a school that might be better academically than the worst academic school in st louis.

that is what irons "offered". the chance to be a star basketball player on a great high school basketball team. imo, that is screwed up and should be the last thing that entices a parent to put his/her child in a school system.

vtime you just restated my point. if the resouces to better yourself werent available at vashon, then why go there when you actually live in a school district that might be able to provide an advantage even if ever slight or an advantage?

the sad part of this story is either parents are letting kids make decisions like that, or even worse the parents themselves are thinking that vashon basketball will guarantee that route when the truth is that without the academic part, it doesnt matter how good of a basketball player you are, you arent going on to college. the juco or trade school route would have been available anywhere, they didnt need to lower their academics at vashon to get to jucos and trade schools.

Career Academy is on the site of the old Vashon. I dont know where the Hannibal transfer stays. He could be legal. Who knows. We dont really know about any of these kids. I just know that in Hazelwood, most of the good football players go to Central and East, not West. The basketball players go to Central. In the McCluer district, the good football players go to McCluer North and not McCluer South or McCluer. The basketball players go to all of them because they are all very competitive. I know there was kid that played football for Haz Central and then transferred to McCluer North and is on their basketball team. Transferring runs rampant. Kids just trying to succeed. Joi Walker of the Career Academy girls transferred mid-year from one ranked school to another and was allowed to play. It happens all the time. Coaches dont seem to mind. Every now and then there is an issue like Franklin going from Beaumont to Vashon or Jairus Byrd playing at Clayton ineligibly and the team having to forfeit their playoff spot. Byrd played the next year and took them all the way to the championship. He's now a DB for Oregon.

so you are saying that because mshaaa i a mess that it is ok for all to cheat?

i like the way you back pedaled on the hannibal kid.

you still didnt answer my question about career academy. i am from illinois so i honestly dont know what career academy is. is it a boundary defined public school? is it some sort of private institution? what is it?

If you arent that bright, it doesnt matter how good the school is academically. If you dont get it, you just dont get it. Colleges have programs set up to give extra help. Most high schools dont. You play for Floyd, you'll go to college for free if you choose to do so. Tate at Mineral Area will give a graduating Vashon senior a chance like he did in 2005 with Joe Pembelton who never got in at Vashon or Hicks in 2004 who never got in at Vashon. Hicks had a good career at Mineral Area too.

i dont know about missouri juco's but illinois jucos make it fairly easy to get into for the financially strapped for little or nothing down. the odds of hitting the jackpot on an athletic scholarship is crazy. the numbers make no sense and as a 12 or 13 year old grade schooler to put your apples in that basket is very misplaced priorities by a parent. and if floyd does/did anything to push a parent/child to that way of thinking there is floyd's "crime".

joel shelton did so well with floyd's college advantage. ditto for nick kern and lorenzo gordon. and those are just the stars. i can only imagine the kid at the end of the bench ended up at harvard in most instances.

I believe Career Academy is a magnet school, so it would have no set boundaries. I would guess that if a kid was enrolled at a magnet school and wanted to transfer to the school whose boundaries in which he lived, he could do so.

And if a kid moved to STL from Hannibal, he should have no problem transferring to his new school without having to sit out.

Nick Kern did end up playing pro ball though and then he got shot. Lorenzo made it to D1 after Junior College where is the all-time leading rebounder. He was 1st team all-MVC in a conference thats finally getting its due and he did fine the first semester, but wasnt on pace to graduate so he was dismissed. He didnt just flunk out. He went to Oklahoma Cty CC took them to the final four and got his degree. I'm surprised you didnt mention Will Franklin who is on pace to graduate next year, Jimmy McKinney who earned his degree from Mizzou, Dwayne Polk who has been academic all-conference. What about those guys. Antonio Scaife and Darren Boone are graduating next year too. Arnold Britt graduated from Mizzou last May too. Only the negative I guess. Its only his fault for the guys that dont pan out I guess.

Its not crazy. If you dont get a scholarship because of your play, there will be JUCO's that will take you because of Irons reputation. The same repuatation that when he leaves the school it loses its national ranking and NIKE Sponsorship.

you are actually proud and can barely name a handful of people that have gone on to succeed academically from Vashon. any other high school, this is just a given. we can barely name a handful of people that HAVEN'T gone onto succeed.