The 2% Solution

I used Bill James' log 5 method (http://www.diamond-mind.com/articles/playoff2002.htm) to calculate the chance each team has to win the A-10 tournament. For the yardstick to compare the teams I used Pomeroy's Relative Efficiency measure and simple win percentage.

For the record there are other ways to evaluate the relative strengths between teams and they would give different results. I used the two measures I used for mathematical reasons (the log5 method needs a scale between 0 and 1 that many other indexes do not use). I did not use RPI because it really is not a measure designed to compare two teams (unlike nearly all "power indexes" and ranking systems).

http://www.nodimension.com/A10log5AC07.jpg

I played around with this some more and modified Pomeroy's efficiency measure and got the Bills up to a 4% chance. I think 25-1 odds sounds about right ("objectively").

Hey, those people want a ride to the A-10 tourney... PICK 'EM UP!!!

Jamall: Where'd you guys get the new recruits???

Brad: Oh, I sold a few things, a few baseball cards, some Greek guy... (cough) JJ.

Jamall: JJ!?!? Brad, JJ didn't even have a head!!!

Brad: Jamall, I took CARE of it.

This whole thing has me losing my $h!t at work.

Just thinking about JJ walking around campus with his head duct-taped on, looking like one of those African women with all the gold rings around their necks... wahahahaha

Sorry for hijacking your post, kwyjibo, that was some very astute, albeit disheartening, analysis...

I could do it formally but it would be pretty close to this year (50-1 using the numbers). What people forget was SLU was a very good team that year (our RPI ended up 33rd after we won the title but it was low 50's going in). SLU had just slumped at the end and so people on this board were really down going in. SLU played in the best division in all of college basketball (C-USA American).

Cincy was a great team so that would bring down the odds but we still had 10-20% chance against them. We were actually favored (slightly) in two games and DePaul did not need to win the final to get a bid so that was a pretty 50/50 game. 55% x 15% x 55% x 45% is roughly a 2% chance.

Ken Pomeroy has "log5" analysis of most of the conference tournaments up and includes a slightly updated version for the A-10. I sent him mine but I sent him the version that did not include the finals (do the formulas for the final round was a lot of work and now it appears I have lost that version).

http://kenpom.com/blog/