U of I gives in

brianstl

Well, that where we disagree. I have a conversation with my neighbor, who is one of the absolute nicest guys I have ever met, but is a blue collar, non-college educated kinda guy...and is a bit crude sometimes. The PC world would not have it. I look deeper than the words and think, is this guy motivated by hate?

Or to take your example of Nuke-U-Lar. We should CARE LESS. I don't care if it was GW, or al Gore, or Barrack Obama, or Tiger Woods. Do we think these people can't spell nuclear? Do we think these people don't kow what nuclear means? Of course not. But what is the message behind the words.

There is WAY too much energy wasted on insignificant things.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

motoy, see my post below; I am admitting ignorance to this and you are right, it is not my place to say whether or not someone should be offended by a mascot. The fact of the matter is, if people are offended by something enough that they want it gone, then it should probably be gone. I apologize if I offended you by taking this situation lightly. Did you say you work in the energy field?

Greece, no offense at all and i really can understand where you are coming from.

I do work in the energy field some. I assist tribes in putting together energy deals (exploration and development) both with traditional and renewable energy sources. Also, i assist tribes in the development of energy utilities, right-of-way development, transmission corridors, etc.

I'm guessing you're in the industry? Otherwise, why would you live in Houston? :)

Hey, I am just replying to a topic that someone else started. It is relevant because it is regarding college basketball, a school near St. Louis, and it is a relevant issue in today's society. Plus, I believe that there are a lot of Illini fans on this board, including myself.

I don't think anything is wrong with a little debate on other topics besides SLU and SLU athletics. At last check, SLU athletics is not the powerhouse of the NCAA and there is life outside of SLU. I choose to cheer for all SLU sports and talk about issues directly relating to the team whether it was a win or loss. However, if this board was solely for SLU athletics and Billiken basketball, it will die a slow death and will not gain any new membership. I have read this board for years and the dynamics here are good and the diverse topics that are discussed are what brings me to this board. You have your opinions and I have mine, I respect that.

Now, I never said that I have given up the season and do realize that SLU does have a shot at a postseason birth. Now in my opinion, they have zero shot at the NIT but could win the A 10 and thus the automatic bid.

Well I'm coming into this debate a little late, but I can't help offering my opinion...

By 1867, when U of I was founded, and most especially by the 1920's when the Chief was introduced, the "mass genocide" was long since over. I believe that the introduction of the Chief and the traditions that followed were not intended to be disrespectful in any way. Rather, I believe the intention was quite the opposite...an attempt by the University to honor the history of the land they now occupied. The Illini Indians, as I understand it, were a collection of several tribes that inhabited Central Illinois. What better way could the state honor the Indians that had been shamelessly eradicated than making them the namesake of their premier institution?

To me, the problem exists because Chief Illiniwek is not an Illini indian. He wears a headress that is of Sioux descent for certain, I'm not sure about the clothes or the dance. It seems to me that the University administration must blame themselves for not working with the Illini indians to determine what changes needed to be made to make the mascot the honored image/figure originally intended.