The Disappointed Dilemma Group

My thoughts below may have gotten lost in another thread. I'm curious about what other fans think.

As previously stated, I am not a member of the Kool-Aid Club. Nor am I ready to join the ABC's. Perhaps there is a third, centrist party, the Disappointed Dilemma Group. That's where I'm at right now. And you know about the horns of a dilemma. Which way should we go? I don't know right now. It isn't as crystal clear as it was, say in 1982, when it was painfully obvious.

Does the current coach have solid inroads into that Class of '08?

What are the real chances of the current coach signing solid recruits from that class? Does the presence of the current coach's son in that class enhance SLU's chances of recruiting success there? If the current coach is gone, there goes the son's influence, if he has any.

I think it comes down to asking yourself is Brad Soderberg the coach to lead Saint Louis University out of mediocrity? I am on the fence on this as well, but definitely leaning one way and I was leaning that same way prior to the season when I heavily questioned his recruiting and whether he had truly accomplished anything here.

I think the 2008 recruiting class in the area is loaded, but are we to believe that we have a chance with the top of this class and if so is it because of Brad Soderberg or because of their desire to play in their own backyard? I think with how this season has turned out, Brad would need to get a verbal from a guy like Suggs or Brandenburg for me to want to keep him around. If not I think it is important we get him out and someone new in as soon as possible.

I think the right guy could come in and sell this program to those kids and get them saying lets build a big time program in St. Louis together. I have not been in the area much, but I hear people talk about Mike Anderson with the highest of praise and it seems like he has brought some excitement to the program from his first day.

I think the team would stay in tact if a new coach were to come in. Bryce, Luke, Danny, and Dwayne are all going to be seniors and I would doubt they would be looking to transfer out, Kevin is an area kid who seems to enjoy being close to home and attending the same school as his sister, Tommie has NBA aspirations and it is doubtful he would be willing to sit out a season to play somewhere else. I think the right coach would be able to keep the ship afloat in year one and would have to work like a bandit to get those area kids to buy into his program and decide they want to join him in building a program in St. Louis. If we have no verbals for the upcoming classes what makes us think the program could be any worse off? Sometimes change is needed, this program seems stagnant with the current staff and I think something needs to be done to get the area excited about Billiken basketball.

Whoa Nellie!

At this point in the miracle Romar season where SLU ran the board in the tournament to get to the NCAA's we were just as dissappointed. I say let them finish the season before you cremate the coach. BS has coached much better this year. We are still a team with only three legitimate A10 players IV, TL, and KL and one definitely has had the sophomore jinx when it comes to injuries. TL has been amazingly adept

at staying away from the hackers and maulers in this league. He is deceptively fast and avoids defenders. I we could go 19-13 would we consider that as good as the Grawer 18-12 year; remember Grawer only had 3 teams that won 20 or more out of what 10 or 11 seasons. Grawer's final year 5-23 was a disgrace and we finally spent big money to get Spoonhauer; after Spoon's first great season he flirted with leaving SLU in the media and it killed what little recruiting interest the kids had in the old man. Soderberg seems like he is growing, learning to coach and teach and getting some respect from the team; he may be all we want in two years...or not.

>Whoa Nellie!

>At this point in the miracle Romar season where SLU ran the

>board in the tournament to get to the NCAA's we were just as

>dissappointed. I say let them finish the season before you

>cremate the coach. BS has coached much better this year. We

>are still a team with only three legitimate A10 players IV,

>TL, and KL and one definitely has had the sophomore jinx

>when it comes to injuries. TL has been amazingly adept

>at staying away from the hackers and maulers in this league.

>He is deceptively fast and avoids defenders. I we could go

>19-13 would we consider that as good as the Grawer 18-12

>year; remember Grawer only had 3 teams that won 20 or more

>out of what 10 or 11 seasons. Grawer's final year 5-23 was a

>disgrace and we finally spent big money to get Spoonhauer;

>after Spoon's first great season he flirted with leaving SLU

>in the media and it killed what little recruiting interest

>the kids had in the old man. Soderberg seems like he is

>growing, learning to coach and teach and getting some

>respect from the team; he may be all we want in two

>years...or not.

LM and DP are definitely A10 caliber. Not great players, but invaluable to our team.

it's not like the Cardinals who signed Danny Jackson and got an inning out of him in 3 seasons and Kip wells who may or may not be recovered from an operation to get blood to flow in his pitching arm; we had a real athlete in Horace Dixon ( you can't tell if a kid can study or not ) I think the coach wouldn't play guys like Horace and OBI beacuse

it would mess with the team to let someone flunking out of school lead on the basketball court. I blame the recruiting on two things-one the coaching budget for assistants and 2) BS, yes it appears that he has surrounded himself with controllable assistants who may or may not be good recruiters; if Jamal Walker, who is a top 10 SLU BB alum can not turn the tide; then, maybe in a short while we will know whether they need a new leader-with charisma that is not threatened by his own staff. So it is either a budget problem or a head coach problem.

if they notch it up next year we should be all right; but DP can't be anything except a role player off the bench if he can't bring the ball up alone or score. LM makes few errors but with starters like him we are not going to win the A10. I really would like to see us 8 deep; can you imagine what Soderberg can do if he athletes like GW?