Band Signs?

Tonka

We have possibly the best college basketball band in the country. They add a LOT to the games. Just imagine a game without them. If someone in the administration is censoring them over the Barbara Berger thing, I would REALLY like to know about it.

I thought the Barbara Berger thing was very clever and very funny. It was not obscene. It was not threatening. It was not demeaning. It was not unprovoked. If anyone knows the details, please let me know.

Thanks,

B

No, the band didn't get reprimanded. Mike B. likes to mix it up every once in a while, so for teams that are green (USF, Tulane) we play snippets of Green Acres for each player.

Btw, one of the big shots was riding on the bus today to the game. I think he was checking out the situation.

Though on the way there, I sat in the last available spot on the bus, and then the driver continued to let people on when "No Standee (are) Allowed." Some might consider this dangerous/illegal or whatever, but it annoyed me particularly because this one rather large girl decided, if you can picture this, not to face the front of the bus and hold on to two seats, but rather, to stand sideways leaning her back against my seat, and kept sticking her big rear in my face. Quite unpleasant really.

I'm sorry, but women have fought and fought for the right to be equal. With women's suffrage and all, they say they don't want to be treated any differently than a man. They're different these days, the seat wouldn't have been accepted. Just look at the way they wanted to be called "actors" instead of "actresses" these days. I would have offered the seat, but wouldn't want to have been accused of being a sexist.

And, to further my point (no hard feelings at all toward you), here's what a female might respond to what you've told me about gentlemanliness: How do you know that I'm not a female? Just because my alias is Alonzo P Hawk doesn't mean I'm not a woman. Women have the right to accept and use any name they please.

>I'm sorry, but women have fought and fought for the right to

>be equal. With women's suffrage and all, they say they

>don't want to be treated any differently than a man.

>They're different these days, the seat wouldn't have been

>accepted. Just look at the way they wanted to be called

>"actors" instead of "actresses" these days. I would have

>offered the seat, but wouldn't want to have been accused of

>being a sexist.

Perhaps I shouldn't open this can of worms, but I will. Men and women ARE equal. But equal doesn't mean identical. Equal respect doesn't mean equal treatment. Women and men shouldn't be treated the SAME in all things. They should be paid equal money for equal work, but in SOME things they can't be treated the same (that is, they should be treated differently.

Hey, I think of them ALL as actors. I hate that most people use a different word to describe a woman who acts than they use to describe a man who acts. A male actor, and a female actor, period.

I would have no problem offering a seat (on MetroLink, for example, if it's going to be so crowded that people will have to stand, I will voluntarily remain standing even if I could beat someone to a seat until I see that there's a seat not claimed, for whatever reason). Offering a seat, or whatever it takes to make things convenient for someone else, isn't sexist (chivalrous, yes, but not sexist), so I'm not worried about what someone thinks if I offer. If she refuses, then I'll still sit there, but I did what I could to make sure she had the opportunity. I'd do the same thing for an older man.

Let me stress, in conclusion, that I'm not trying to tell anyone what's right and wrong or how he or she should act; I'm just expressing my opinion.

>And, to further my point (no hard feelings at all toward

>you), here's what a female might respond to what you've told

>me about gentlemanliness: How do you know that I'm not a

>female? Just because my alias is Alonzo P Hawk doesn't mean

>I'm not a woman. Women have the right to accept and use any

>name they please.

Your profile says you're male. Are you trying to be misleading? Sure, women can choose any handle they want, just as men do, and both can be held to task and expected to face the consequences for being misleading (or outright lying).

Furthermore, I think most women would have handled the situation differently. They probably would have said, "Excuse me, but would you please get your &l;rear end&r; out of my face?!" Heck, I'm male, and I would probably make a similar statement, provided she refused my offer to sit down:

Me: "Hey, you can sit here, if you'd like."

Her: "No, that's all right." {But I bet there's less than 50 percent of a chance she'd refuse the offer.}

Me: "Okay, then would you please face forward? I'd appreciate that."