Fun With Numbers

slufan13

1. SLU is just 4-11 when they turn it over on more than 20% of their possessions. They've lost 8 straight when doing so

2. SLU is 5-14 when Mike Crawford plays less than 60% of the minutes.

3. Shockingly, all 10 of SLU's wins have come when Milik Yarbrough scores 12 points or less

4. Ash Yacoubou is averaging 12.1 points in wins. 7.6 points in losses. 51% shooting in wins. 31% shooting in losses.

5. Crawford (16) and Roby (15) have combined to hit 31 straight free throws.

6. Marcus Bartley is averaging 1.9 assists in wins and 1.5 assists in losses.

7. Milik Yarbrough averages 2.4 assists in wins and 0.9 assists in losses

8. Austin McBroom averages 11.1 points per game in wins and 5.5 points per game in losses

9. Miles Reynolds averages 14 minutes per game in wins and 8.5 minutes per game in losses.

Stats like that don't tell the whole story, but I did find points 4 and 7 to be pretty interesting.

I like #8. McBroom never seems to do anything wrong when he's on the court, so why do we see so little of him?

He averages only 1.19 turnovers per game, while also averaging nearly 2 assists per/game while only averaging about 20 minutes. Per 40 minutes that's 15 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, and 1.5 steals while shooting 38% from the floor. (approximately)

I see no reason to not play him more - certainly not a statistical reason.

Does JC not appreciate his sense of humor?

McBroom has about the same MPG as he did last season, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. We have more alternative three point shooters this year, I guess. But McBroom has made slight improvements in turnover and assist rates this season, while hitting way more of his three point attempts on a much shallower roster. Seems like that would warrant more playing time.

I have never been a fan of Mcbroom (I think the church league references are too accurate), but he has made 15 more 3 pointers than anyone on the team AND shoots the highest percentage from downtown. On a team that oftentimes struggles for a spark offensively, I don't see how it can hurt if he gets in more.

McBroom's mpg are slightly misleading. Last season he never played 30 or more minutes in a game and never played 10 or less minutes. This season he has gone 30 or more 7 times and played 10 or less 4 times. While the minutes are pretty similar the consistency of his use is not. It just doesn't make sense.

I have never been a fan of Mcbroom (I think the church league references are too accurate), but he has made 15 more 3 pointers than anyone on the team AND shoots the highest percentage from downtown. On a team that oftentimes struggles for a spark offensively, I don't see how it can hurt if he gets in more.

Exactly. Feelings aside, you can't argue that he'd be a difference maker.

Can't even begin to understand why McBroom and Bartley average more minutes than Crawford, though.

Crawford shows the most potential IMO. Physically, from a talent side, and overall he just seems to have a much higher potential ceiling.

McBroom's mpg are slightly misleading. Last season he never played 30 or more minutes in a game and never played 10 or less minutes. This season he has gone 30 or more 7 times and played 10 or less 4 times. While the minutes are pretty similar the consistency of his use is not. It just doesn't make sense.

I'd like to know the W/L for the games he played 30+, and were any of those conference games?

I am never a fan of the "record when X plays X or more minutes" tallies. The two conference games McBroom played 30+ minutes in were VCU and UMass, two of our three best conference games all season, even though they count as losses in the tally. In the other one of those three, he played 25 minutes at GW.

He also played 25+ minutes in our "best" non-conference wins (@Indiana State and Vermont), and played 25+ and hit the gamewinners in a couple other games (SIU and Bradley). People here talk about him being a selfish ball hog, but the team overall looks much better to me when he's getting significant minutes, and he's the only player to come up big in crunch time all season.

Total non sequitur--looking over these game logs, it is still amazing to me we have only scored 70+ points in three games all season (not counting Rockhurst).

I am never a fan of the "record when X plays X or more minutes" tallies. The two conference games McBroom played 30+ minutes in were VCU and UMass, two of our three best conference games all season, even though they count as losses in the tally. In the other one of those three, he played 25 minutes at GW.

He also played 25+ minutes in our "best" non-conference wins (@Indiana State and Vermont), and played 25+ and hit the gamewinners in a couple other games (SIU and Bradley). People here talk about him being a selfish ball hog, but the team overall looks much better to me when he's getting significant minutes, and he's the only player to come up big in crunch time all season.

Total non sequitur--looking over these game logs, it is still amazing to me we have only scored 70+ points in three games all season (not counting Rockhurst).

I don't put a lot of faith in them, but I like to see if there's any coincidence. Clearly there are plenty of other factors, as you pointed out.

He's not just the best three point shooter on a bad team; he's a legitimately good shooter. I'd love to know the specifics on why Crews decided to plant a guy like that on the bench in recent games even as the team struggles to score 59 points a game. He's not that awful defensively.

He's not just the best three point shooter on a bad team; he's a legitimately good shooter. I'd love to know the specifics on why Crews decided to plant a guy like that on the bench in recent games even as the team struggles to score 59 points a game. He's not that awful defensively.

I think he has become a decent defender.