Obi Ikeakor, the X-Factor

in your scenario the kid played in the opener blowout. he was ineligible for a redshirt at that point.

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/membership...ty_seasons.html

it does not say anyone has to declare by a certain date. it only say they cannot play in a game to be considered a redshirt.

That kid sitting on the bench after playing in the opener, had better find an injury quick so he can apply for a medical redshirt. Once he plays in one game he cannot redshirt unless it is for a medical redshirt. I think he has to play in under 1/3 of the teams games in order to qualify for a medical redshirt also.

I know redshirts can travel with the team to away games and I would think transfers could as well.

Teams do not have to announce redshirts, it happens once in a while where a kid's redshirt will be pulled late in the season like after Christmas or even in Jan during league games. Usually injuries or transfers out are the reasons for this to happen.

.. I thought you said "played a second game" but you said "played a second in a game." So in the case of a fifth year senior ... one where he completes his four years of eligibility in five, he must declare his redshirt year prior to the season beginning. Thiscould be his freshman year or any year for that matter. But a player can apply for a medical redshirt if he's plays in only 1/3 of the games scheduled before he is injured. I can agree to that.

But that then takes me back to the backwards one where I asked the question if what he said was possible ... he said "it will take Obi until January to be healthy and physically fit to make a meaningful contribution. If he's not fit to go Jan1....I would redshirt him." My question still applies. Canthis be done? Would you have to call it a redshirt year long before Jan 1 or are you at that point saying he's only done a third of the games so apply for the medical waiver?

i took tseug to mean that obi would likely not dress out for games until physically able to play. and if that gets to january 1, then he would say "pack it in".

broy you are correct....I was suggesting that if Obi was not injury free AND in physical shape by Jan 1 then I would encourage him to redshirt.

I'm suggesting that his first game minutes could be Jan1. If Obi doesn't play by Jan 1 because he is still recovering from his high school injury then perhaps he would qualify for a medical redshirt.

I believe for a non-medical redshirt you have to declare before the first game.

Wasn't that Romar with Lattimore. Something like he was upset about a player on the court and pointed down the bench to Lattimore and after it was too late realized it. Don't remember if this was exhibition or 1st or 2nd game of the season. That is kind of what I remember but probably wrong.