Ian Report Please.

Taj79

brehms, thought i would let you know that i was at the jillikens game last sunday with my 7th grade daughter. your brother walks by us to talk to an apparent other slu student sitting there watching. my daughter wanted reggie to sign an autograph for her and when reggie was about to leave, we asked him. he willingly signed, and spent a minute or two conversing with us as well about the team and the game from the night before. he is a class act you can definitely be very proud of. he sure made my daughter's day.

to me it does not mean "the player has potential and with a little work will contribute this year or next.

to me it means....." he has potential but needs weight gaining or loss and with two or three years will be a contibutor...."

I just think it is unreasonable to expect freshman to be contributors from day one. essentailly there are 325 X 3 freshman players per year, how many of the do what Kleiza has done, or Drejaj last year.....not many. so to label someone a project just because in his first two games his only stats are 3 rebounds an offensive foul and traveling call is not fair.

just my humble opinion

... or bone-chilling temperatures as brehms and I reach critical mass (in other words, agreement!). Think I slink off to Looney's North tonight and see if they'll give me one screen for the game coordinates listed above. What with the wrong color birds still alive in the NFL (Green Eagles versus Purple Ravens in this town) being all wrong, it might not be as crowded or as contested for some sappy MU/SLU game request. Some day we'll have to agree to meet and watch together .... maybe we can get the kid out of GeoWashingtonU to join us.

As broy and others will attest, the dark ages ended with the firing of Ron Ekker and the hiring of Rich Grawer. Grawer struggled until he inked first Roland Gray and Monroe Douglass, and then followed up with Anthony Bonner. In the meantime, Jim Roder transferred back to SLU from Kansas State. Jim was an all-metro pick while at DeSmet. This is as nice a foursome as there was in Billiken history but you know you need to play with five. The fifth was the center, Reditt Hudson, a 6'8" lanky jellybean jumping jack type player from University City High. He was a virtual unknown when he came in and did nothing of particular high notice by the time he went out except to play center on the Bills winningest of teams until the great years of the mid- to late-nineties.

This was the team by which I measure all other teams at SLU: a very adept point guard (Roder) with a defend-distribute mentality first with a decent shot. A superb two guard (Douglass) with hops who could really dazzle although might be limited in outside shooting ability. A very super small forward three (Gray) who was equally deadly underneath as well as outside. A monster four (Bonner) who rebounded like Rodman and defended brutishly and eventually developed a better offensive game. And then the five (Hudson) who just did all the other things needed to make it all work.

I say this team is the best of all time because it wasn't a one-man show like the Legend's team (demonstrated by the complete failure of teams immediately psot-Legend) and it was more complete than the Spoon teams of Claggs/Highmark/Dobbs/Waldman because it was more traditonal in its roles. While I would certainly take the Spoon teams for their results and rankings, the mid-eighties team was more traditional in its compostion.