who employs them

bills16

i was just reading the other threads on bob ramsey and was wondering how many pbp men are employed by the university in another capacity besides pbp.

the late pete taylor was iowa state's pbp person for football and basketball for over 30 years before passing away during last basketball season. the last dozen years at iowa state he was employed by isu and was one of their chief fund raisers and was very good at it.

gary dolphin is the iowa hawkeyes pbp man and is a banker in dubuque, ia.

the current iowa state radio bpb person is the tv sports director for the abc affiliate out of des moines.

i'm using these men as examples because i live here in iowa but follow the bills. i've had some interesting questions asked me at work when i've worn a shirt with the billikens logo on it.

i was just curious what is standard operation for pbp people and does it raise problems if your also employed by that same university.

I am almost certain that Ramsey is not employed by the university in any capacity other than as PBP ... but he does other Bills sports than mens b-ball. Ramsey did the Bills soccer games that appeared on Charter cable and I think, but am not certain, he did a few Jilliken games that were shown on Charter.

maybe the next pbp person could be a university employee and work in fundraising and marketing. if that person was out raising money for slu what better potential ambassador for the basketball program.

first and foremost slu must find a radio station that wants billiken basketball and that station must make slu a priority and not an afterthought.

Of course, most school radio stations transmit very low wattages, but I don't think that's always the case. SIUE has an FM station that I believe most, if not all, of St. Louis can pick up. UMSL's station has broad reach, I think. If SLU has a radio station and a Communications Department, then I wouldn't be opposed to having students calling the games on the University station. That requires a lot of investment, though, especially for road games, so I'm sure it's more convenient, if not more efficient, to hire an outside company to produce the broadcasts.

By the way after the MU game today - they noted at the end of the broadcast that all pbp people are employees of the Tiger Network and approved by the school. So apparently Mike Kelly is not an employee of MU. I only heard it because I was in the car an interested on if Iowa beat them or not.