STL MEDIA-VIEW FROM AFAR-IT SucKS

slu72

I cannot believe what I am seeing from STL media. First, read the post below about RFT's best of issue. They managed to take two positives and turn them into two negatives. SLU has the inside track but.... "Lisch and Lidell will be recruited by comparably better barns!" Jeez, thanks! UB best coach in area..."but enjoy him while you got him despite his claim he's staying for the long term." For cripes sake why don't you just tell Lidell and Lisch don't sign with SLU or UB 'cause he's not going to be there for very long and we suck. Freaking amazing! Could you please leave us out of any of your best of publications.

Then the Cusamano/Rammer deal. For cripes sake...go to the MVC vs the A-10? Thanks for the advice boys. Maybe you'd like to pass it on to our potential recruits that we'll be playing the likes of Drake and Northern Ill instead of X, Dayton, Temple. That ought to lock 'em up for good old SLU.

And finally the Post Disgrace. OK, now, SLU's got a choice. MVC or A-10. Which is better.....for Mizzery....why of course, the MVC! SLU joining the MVC makes: 1. the arena sell harder. 2. makes recruiting harder. 3. costs us a great, decent, coach (maybe the PD's secret agenda is that when Q gets sacked UB will move to Columbia), and 4. just show the whole stl area how bush SLU really is.

This is disgusting. In the space of two days, days the media should have been promoting the program for making strides toward the big time, they tell our two top recruits and our head coach: You'll be wooed by bigger better programs, SLU is mid major at best. Freaking sickening. You guys should be calling into these programs, writing letters to the editors, and starting sponsor boycotts. Never have I heard local media trash a program as bad as these guys do ours. I'm not so sure the old adage "Any press is better than no press" applies here. To quote from a famous movie about the media "WE ARE MAD AS HELL AND NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!"

. Especially about the P-D pro-Mizzou conspiracy theory. That would come as a major surprise to 99% of the Mizzou fans who react to P-D articles.

"In the space of two days, days the media should have been promoting the program for making strides toward the big time,"

This sort of misses what the "media" "should" do. "Promoting" is not part of it.

"they tell our two top recruits and our head coach: You'll be wooed by bigger better programs,"

Exact quote on Liddell/Lisch: "Problem is, both will likely visit their fair share of comparably attractive barns. Let the scholastic bidding begin."

Exact quote on Uncle Brad: "But beware: While Soderberg says he's perfectly content to stay at SLU, he's sure to be at the top of most major programs' lists, should a game of musical chairs...occur anytime in the future. Enjoy him while you can." You might recall the whole thread earlier in the year about what SLU has done to reinforce Brad's contract. As far as I know, they haven't. Thus this entire paragraph is pretty darned accurate.

"SLU is mid major at best." I wish I could find the ESPN article that appeared recently. This whole "mid-major" thing is pretty funny, because ESPN, or someone like it, explicitly defined a mid-major as a non-I-A football school. Given that -- we are, and who really cares? It's a semantic argument we'll never get around until we achieve the same court results as Marquette, Gonzaga and Creighton have recently.

The one valid media criticism I've seen is that the pundits (and even, in one case, a reporter) haven't reported SLU's side of the story -- not even as far as something like "SLU Athletic Director Doug Woolard declined comment on future conference plans." And there's a good argument, as B-Roy has made, that SLU bears some implicit responsibility for the inability to quash negative speculation.

Actually, SLU is a Div. 1-AAA school. 1-AAA is the designation given to schools that DO NOT play football. The football playing schools are divided into 1-A and 1-AA.

"Mid-major," though, still refers to conferences. CONFERENCES which compete in 1-A football are high-major, and those that compete in 1-AA football are mid-major or below. Whether or not there are any conferences that have all 1-AAA schools is not something I know, but whether or not such a conference would be considered high-major or mid-major would be based on legislative representation.