Soccer Bills

slufanskip

I watched the 2nd half on cable. Vedad Ibisevic scored the only goal with a nice individual effort beating his man near the goal with the ball. Strangely, most of the 2nd half was played in the Billiken end but the Bills had the better scoring chances, several, but could not net one to lock away the game. It was in doubt until the end. Florida International had a striker with jets that was dangerous but the SLU goalie was stout in defense of all runs at his net. On cable they said Florida International was ranked in the top 25 in the nation so it is another solid win for our young Bills.

Another win against a ranked opponent should move the Bills up at least one notch in the polls.

Notable losses so far this weekend include

#3 Wake Forest losing to Virginia (who SLU beat)

Indiana losing to Akron (who SLU beat)

Creighton losing to 0-4 UNLV (tough start for coach Warming this year)

Stanford losing to Brown

#1 Maryland and #2 UCLA have difficult games today.

Our current #4 ranking is pretty good for such a young team. We have had a very difficult schedule so far and hopefully our Freshman dominated team will hat have any costly "youth moments" in our C-USA opener against Charlotte.

Our remaining schedule is somewhat easier re: ranked teams, but UAB and Indiana will be very tough. And they way schools are moving in and out of the rankings who knows which team on our schedule will become ranked - Cincy, USF, Bradley.

But... this year could be the year.

Go Bills!

Regarding the game last night

Hutton was incredible ... Of course I haven't seen them all or even the top keepers ...but I can't imagine one at the college level who is better than Martin.

The 1st half was probably controlled 60-40 in the Bills favor with both teams having good scoring opportunities. Hutton made a highlight reel save on a blast at the upper right corner and a quick diving save of a low shot again to his right. The bills had an almost sure goal headed off the line by an FIU defender.

The second half was provbably 70-30 in FIU's favor, though as a previous post stated SLU probably had more good chances.

Some other random observations. Pulsari is a tremendous defender, he plays solid and consistent .. he seldom commits at the wrong time allowing himself to get beat ... he is very good at holding an opponnent and waiting for help and I don't think I've seen him get beat one on one yet this year. He is also the best Bills defender offensively and moves the ball well to the midfielders.

Wickert plays a very accurate long ball ... but very often holds on to it too long and his pass gets deflected. When he tries to beat a defender on the dribble hold your breath. Defensively he is very strong and is outstanding with his head.

Will John gets knocked off the ball too easily in tight spaces, trying to be too fancy. In the open field he is dangerous and has good vision ... he needs to pass the ball with more pace and accuracy.

Besides Hutton the 2 brightest spots on the team were Vedad and John D.

In an earlier post I stated Vedad need to learn to use his teamates more often ... thay is still true .. but if he has a chance to take someone one on one ... he should keep the ball and create his own opportunity. He has very good speed, and great moves along with a decent shot. I still have not seen them utilize his height, so I don't know if he has the ability to use his head. He is going to score a lot of goals as a Billiken.

John D is incredible on set plays ... he has the ability to curve the ball to a spot with tremendous accuracy. He took a free kick from about 35-40 yards out that was going wide and hooked back in the FIU keeper made a bacwards diving fingertip grab to save the goal. I'm guessing he was 6'3" or 4" one inch shorter and it was a goal. On another free kick from just about 12 yards off the end line and 8 yard in from the side he hit a ball that hooked just inches wide of the far post. Every corner is a good opportunity when he takes them. The Bills had 2 or 3 grat chances off corners that just missed or were mishandled. When the ball is in play he is solid ... but does not distribute as well.

Peplinski may prove to be their best midfielder as he gets older ... he is very confident with the ball, makes good decisions, and has good speed.

As a team ... they need to finish better ... and work on their transition to and from the midfield. They depend way yoo much on the long ball. As they continue to improve and learn to work the ball up the field and pick and choose when they play it long. They will create better opportunities.

When watching them play it is hard too believe so many of them are Freshman. They are very, very good. With Martin in goal ... he is a difference maker ... I don't think I will be suprised at anything they accomplish this year.

Kudos to Dan Donnigan for keeping the best of St.Louis at home and adding great talent from outside the area.

If you haven't seen these guys play, you are missing out.

1) Marty Hutton was spectacular and the reason SLU won the game. He looked much improved from last year(not as if he was bad last year, or not good because he was, but this is more of what I am looking for... but plays a much more decisive game with terrific saves) A very good sign.

2) Skip...Peplinski didn't dress last night, t-shirt and sweats on sidelines...perhaps you meant someone else? I was looking forward to seeing him play.

3) I have always been a Pusateri fan in back...I thought he didn't have one of his better games, but recovered well. He is a serious player. Along with Wickart and Gannon, the three seniors are solid in back, and experienced in big games.

4) It is obvious that guys like Cooper McKee will see less and less time as the Frosh get physically stronger and more experience. Guys like Wynn and Moses just aren't good enough...nothing against them...SLU is just getting better players, a good sign. Much more depth as some guys who even started some last year cannot get off of the bench...lots of guys will get a chance.

5) FIU was fast and physical, a good test. The deserved result was a draw, but take the fortune. I would like to see SLU hold the ball better with physical play, and gripe less. Could Vedad and Will John ***** any more than they did? With more experience and maturity, this will only improve, ...we don't need punks out there. Great leadershio again from seniors like Wickart in particular. I would also like to see much more effort in the air from Vedad and Will John up top on long balls and 50/50 balls.

6) DiRamaindo was terrific, and not just on set pieces.

7) SLU didn't control the midfield enough, and didn't sustain enough interior passing, but FIU played hard...they had a 4-2 loss to SMU as their blemish comng in. Wickart saved the equalizer on his header...some other breaks....and SLU just couldn't finish a few easy ones later.

8) The win locks SLU in good shape for a while...road conference games are the toughest, even if it isn't a top squad...tough to win all conference games on road. ...but it would be nice to have a two game lead on UAB heading to Birmingham late...

9) As well as Hutton played, I just don't think SLU will be a 1-0 win team. They will need to continue to finish up front and learn how to work together better up there. Will John and Vedad are very talented...a bit soft on the ball, and in John's case, lost sight of teammates and opportunities on different occasions.

10) Lastly, hopefully the game's comments don't come out too harsh...very exciting times for SLU soccer...they have a LONG way to go for any final four and beyond aspirations(Have you seen UCLA or Maryland etc...for example)...but they have serious young talent. Maybe by the end of the season, they will be title contenders...they have that chance, and talent...if it comes together that quickly...they will need to get stronger on the ball, control the midfield much more, and tighten up a little more, etc...to seperate themselves from the other top 20 teams. There are some good teams out there, and obviosuly they were fortunate to get out of the UVA and FIU games with wins. But you take it...do your job against lesser conference foes, and hope for some great games on road at IU and UAB...get the homefield in playoffs to get to final four...if they can win conference and conf tourney....then I would like their chances with home field, a bit more experience...and it is crap shoot in final four...

one game at a time, Charlotte next.

Courtside ... the player I was thinking was Peplinski ... was Casey Speiss. I got there too late to get a roster the last two games .. for some reason I have thought him to be Peplinski both times.

So it is Casey Speiss that I like a lot. Now I'm looking forward too realizing who Peplinski is at the next game.

I agree Vedad and Will were whining all game. I didn't think that anything unusual was going on with Will, he's just so small he gets knocked around too easily. With Vedad he was getting held alot, he initially didn't complain to the ref, but retaliated a bit, when the ref intervened,and stopped the pushing for the 2nd or third time ...he started complaining. I thought there should of been some calls there. ... but he better get used to it, it will happen a lot, especially in CUSA road games ... there won't be any calls there.

Overall I thought the officiating was pretty good ...usually I am down on them ... seems they can never keep up with play and the linesman call any offside that is close ... regardless of where they are when the ball is played. I thought Vedad did a better job at staying on.

It seems we both agree we need to work on holding the ball. I thought the transition from mid field to the forwards was almost non existent.

The field was very slick and the ball was coming off the grass quickly ... if they could of held it more and played more through balls they could have gotten some nice opportunities. Almost all of their real opportunities were off set plays.

Glad to see you agree with me on John D. He is a real talent. Someone had previously posted during one of the South east games that he was not very accurate on free kicks and corners ... I can't imagine that ... He was superb with the U17 team and has continued to be with us.

I also agree with you on Martin... I think I missread your previos posts regarding him ... He was very good last year ... but this year he seems to have really stepped up ... he kept up in the lead with a couple of spectacular saves early. He is also very confident and strong on crosses. I have been following soccer a long time and as a former keeper ... I think he could end up the best we've had. He definately has the talent too play at the next level.

I agree with your assessment of the game, and that we have a lot of work to be a final four team ... but I do think the talent is there and that it is a possibility.

I haven't seen Maryland or UCLA yet ...have you?

UCLA is usually very big and strong. My old high school coach was an asst. with them for a while in the late 70's and early eighties. A defender on our team also got a schollie to go there... Brett Tubert, too bad he was a doper and a wasted a lot of talent.

I saw UCLA and Maryland play each other this season. Both very strong, with their play, and physically.

Spiess was solid on left side of field. I know that Peplinski is a player. Just lok for the shaggy blond hair, and always a smile on his face for Peplinski.

I too would like to see the ball played on the ground more, and controlled better in the midfield. FIU had players from 7 different countries, and are used to a very technical physical game. A very good experience for the talented slight Billikens.

You were right about Hutton, he is much better. I was always a fan of Kevin Johnston back in the day....as far as SLU keepers go.

I looked up Peplinski's # on the Slu site #11. I don't remember him standing out too me. I'm looking forward too watching him play. Did you see Maryland and UCLA on T.V. If so what station ... I have Dish Network and got the U17 team ... on a spanish station, but I haven't seen anything for college soccer.