Anyone else get...

a BUNCH of spam today. I got TRUCKLOADS today. I ussually get about 5-10 after filters. But today I easily got 50, I set up more filters, but it kept coming. Plus someone spoofed my e-mail address so it looks like I was sending spam (and I got Mailer errors). My dad said a few people at his work got a bunch today too, anyone else (as I wrote this I got another one!)

Steve

I do get some spam at my personal e-mail address, but most of it gets filtered out by EarthLink's good SpamBlocker filter, once I block an address. I used to get tons of spam e-mail at my website e-mail address, but I changed it and encoded my address so that spambots wouldn't find it so easy to harvest. My new website e-mail address has gotten NO spam so far (in six weeks).

The problem is that just as there are "robots" (or "spiders") to search websites for search engines, there are spambots, robots that crawl the web looking for e-mail addresses for spammers. Steve, the fact that you hardcode your e-mail address into your pages makes it an easy target.

Thicks-

I know that having my e-mail on Billikens.com everywhere makes it easy pickin's. The @billikens.com domain causes for so much spam (I basically filter it all out). But how do you encode an e-mail address?

Steve

I have received hundreds of e-mails overnight at my work address. All of them are from people I have never heard of. My address is also sending stuff out as well and I have no control over it. Nothing shows up in your Sent E-mails, you only know it is happening because some of the addresses it sends to are dead and so you get a failed delivery notice.

The "re:" or subject line is usually "Wicked Screensaver", "Your application", "Details" or "Approved".

If you get anything like this DELETE it without opening it.

There are several news stories on the web about it this morning.