Greetings from Dallas

Hey posters. Some mild news from Big D. In today's Dallas Morning News, an article was wrote concerning adding SMU to Conference USA. When Conf USA added TCU I was puzzled...I know they are trying to make it a better football conference, but SMU seemed like a much better fit. By having two schools in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, I think the exposure for the conference could only grow. Also, there is an international tournament being held here in Dallas at the SMU campus. Is this the tournament our Greek recruit may be playing in? Teams from Croatia, Spain, and Brazil I believe are competing. Team USA is composed of mainly Dallas area HS players, such as LaMarcus Aldridge and Dez Willingham. If this is the tourney we think Ian is competing I will def take a look. Peace.

There are two big international basketball tournaments this summer. Ian Vouyoukas, of Greece, is participating in the Junior World Basketball Championships in Greece. There is also the Pan-Am Games, which may be being held in Dallas, but I really don't know where it is.

The Junior Worlds features young men (probably under 20, but I don't know the exact ages. The USA team in that tournament features rising sophomores, incoming freshmen, and rising high-school seniors.

The Pan-Am Games features grown men, and I think some of the countries will fill their roster with professional players.

Yes, the U.S. team in the Pan Am Games will consist of college players. However, I think that some of the other American (North and South) countries may use the same players they use for the Olympics and World Championships, which means professionals.

The whole reason that the United States Olympic Committee started using NBA players in the 1992 Olympics is that our college players were no longer able to win the gold medal in international competitions such as the Olympics, the World Championships (of Basketball) and the Pan Am Games, because the other countries were sending non-amateurs (professionals) that were "volunteering" for their country.

If all the other countries had followed the spirit of the amateurism rule in international competitions, then the U.S. would still be sending college players to all the international tournaments.