Two-week swing

Everyone was riding a high after the Charlotte win-- we were praising Brad and his decision to enter Husak into the game when Ian was on the floor-- a risky move that paid off. We loved the intensity and hustle and the play from our Billikens. Then we hit the wall -- losses to Dayton, LaSalle and SJU in the A-10 Tourney killed any postseason dreams. I will say that I am frustrated right now -- the MVC's great year hurt us in not getting an NIT bid. Perhaps it was a fluke, but if not, Soderberg and Co. need to realize that we're not just competing with A-10 teams, but MVC teams in terms of recruiting and scheduling.

As a young alum of SLU who is often critical of Soderberg and our players, it's only because I haven't seen results that Soderberg was hired to produce. You older guys were around for the Glory years of SLU basketball --- if anything, you guys should be pissed off more than anyone -- you've gone from supporting a great program to a pathetic one. I've just been around for some mediocre years, but I know SLU is capable of returning to a prestigious program. We don't need complacent fans who don't give a damn, we need fans and boosters and supporters who won't stand for this from our Athletic Department and Coaching Staff.

We've been critical of V-Time and other posters calling for Soderberg's head. If Brad can group together some strong recruits and have a successful run in 2006-2007, then perhaps we can re-evaluate where we stand a year from now.

We can't be streaky fans either. I will say that Brad is a good coach --- he is not a good recruiter --- it might take a while for Brad to find his groove as a recruiter on the Division 1 level, but he's a natural on the sidelines. I just hope that we don't lose Brad and he becomes a legend somewhere else.

For those of us who have been followers of the program a long time this past year is very good in terms of a comparison to the many of the teams of the past. Sure, we were better and more competitive for several years but we had a lot of bad years as well. We had bad years under Grawer. We had bad years under Spoon who inherited a solid core of excellent players. Some previous coaches were absolutely terrible. I sure hope that the fans have some patience because I see some nice things happening and our program needs continuity in coaching. One of the worst things we have had is the coaching merry go round, particularly when Romar left out of the blue. Now we have two local freshmen that could be at least all conference. If we can get that elusive power forward, look out!

How is being critical ... bitching on Billikens.com. Put up big bucks and voice your concerns then they will be heard. So many people say some of us put up with medicrity or are complacent. There are things I like and dislike about UB ... but the ones I like outweigh what I don't, and I don't see how bitching about what I don't like and insinuating he should be fired will help improve what I don't like.

Vtime calling for is head ... WHO CARES.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I am a supporter of Brad, but I do not think that we can continue to blame an "elusive power foward" as all of our problems. No team in College basketball has a star at every position and it takes GOOD coaching to get over this problem. If Brad is having problems with JJ and doesn't get along with him or can't get him to committ to the program; pardon my french but kick has butt to the curb. I am sick and tired of hearing all this "potential" that JJ supposedly has and not seeing more than a glimpse of it. JJ has had three years to get with the progam and whip himself into shape, which I see as ample time.

I will continue to support Brad, but I feel like the excuse " no power forward" is getting old. We as Billiken fans are always expecting more than we receive. All everyone ever says is to "give it time." The year after we made the tourney, we were supposed to progress, instead we regressed into barely a D1 team. This year we overcome the flip flopping wins in the beginning of the season to improve our record to 16-10, but then again, when it really counts Brad and his team can't come through. I personally feel that next year Brad is going to have to do something ( Like make the tourney) impressive to keep his Job.

SO with that said, HERES TO COACH SODERBERG!

Metz, I think your assessment about being critical is correct. We as fans do need to hold Brad and the program to high standards in order to be successful. If you don't, then you're just going to get mediocrity. The same can be said for your job, your government, anything. However, you need to be realistic in your criticism. Your expectations are really high and you need to understand the recent history of this program. Brad does deserve a little more time. He inherited crap from Romar. We all fail to forget that when Romar left, we lost McClain, Edwin, Pulley, Kern, and Hollins immediately. Brad did what he could to fill those roles for a few years, but once Sloan and Fish left, he had to begin rebuilding with local players (as we are all happy about). Now he is doing that and I think for the most part he is doing it well. Lisch, Liddell, Polk, and Meyer are the step in the right direction.

V-Time is not alone in his belief that we should be going after the local players, but he is not being realistic. We cannot take on every local player in the area and at this point for next year we need to fill spots where we are weak, obviously the 4. That argument is not new and its pretty obvious by Brad's last two recruiting classes and the guys he is offering this year and the next few years that he is going after the local guys very hard. It takes time with recruiting and Brad has begun to develop those relationships that are vital. So now that we have some talent on the team and now that Brad has had time to develop relationships with the local players, the question still remains: Can he consistently get these guys and can we turn the corner as a program?

I think next year could be the true measure of him as a coach. Can he get these guys, Powell, O'Rear, etc? Or are they going to go to SIU or Mizzou? And can Brad take possibly the best SLU trio we've seen in years to its first tournament bid since 2000? That's the bigger question, because for me I still have concerns about Brad as a coach. True, he keeps it close with weaker talent and can play up for big games. But what about the weaker opponents? Can we stop playing down to other teams, and learn to "put the foot to the throat" and win our easier games (Richmond, Dayton, etc)? If Brad has another year around .500, then you definately need to re-examine Brad's ability. All this being said, it's pretty obvious next year is a make or break year for this program and for Brad. Lets hope he goes out, gets Stemler and gets that 4 we so badly need in order push ourselves up onto the national scene.