Students and the new arena

One thing that must be done at the new arena, is allowing the students to actually get tickets at the arena, not at west pine a day before the game.

One killer factor now is saturday day games. If students go out friday night, and then decide that night that they want to go to the game tomorrow, there is no way they can get tickets to the game.

I think that policy may have been set up during the '90s when SLU had some nice runs and brought in student crowds. I believe the thinking was that it would realy stink to take the bus to the game and not have a ticket. It was also done for certain games (like the NIT) in previous years.

Hopefully a good situation can result.

I've suggested this to the athletic department, but heard no response:

Make getting tickets as easy as possible - set up "Mobile Ticket Offices" in places that the students frequent such as the Gries Cafeteria, Busch Center, the business school atrium, etc. All it takes is a table, some signage, a bunch of tickets and someone to distribute them.

I talked to the AD a few times a couple of weeks ago about at least opening another ticket window at Savvis, and they said they didn't realize that Savvis didn't already do that. They said they want to do it, but that it is a big concept and it "would take time." Hopefully it'll be in place by next season.

I have been involved in a lot of different event planning. Duke basketball games are an event because it is Duke playing basketball, that is, Duke basketball is a big enough draw by itself. We are not there yet. Consequently, what is the "event" that is going to draw students? I contend that it is NOT Billiken basketball alone. It has to be more. What exactly "more" is, I do not exactly now, but at the current time it has to be more.

It could be simple things like Greek Night at the game or more sophisticated things like concerts before/after the games. Hopefully, in ten years, Billiken basketball will be the event, but not yet.