Question on Playing Time

House

I still don't understand why LM is not getting more minutes. At least he got in the game last night, as opposed to the last 2 games. Especially with AD at less than 100%. He is an extremely smart player and plays solid defense. I know there are only so many minutes at the guard spots, but I think he has shown the ability to guard most small fowards and some power forwards.

In my mind, there is little doubt he could be a solid contributor and should play 10 minutes a game. Maybe he should get some of VN's minutes. VN contributes nothing in my mind.

What are everyone's thoughts? Am I off board?

I like what Meyer does when he is on the court but right now he is the odd man out. Unfortunately the next worst player in the rotation is polk. Meyer cannot take his minutes because he cannot play polk's position. I too would like to see less of VN but I don't think Meyer can handle the boards any better than VN does. Also Meyer out there as the lone post up player like VN was last night is not feasible.

In order to get playing time Meyer has to start hitting 3s. Until he does that unless there is a ton of injuries of someone totally collapses he is looking at garbage time only.

I've had the same question regarding why he doesn't get more PT. I don't think taking minutes from VN is really an option as Brad seems reluctant to use him up front. Both TL and KL have pretty well solidified their place on the team and with Drejag back, Vashon and Polk also are both seeing fewer minutes. I think Luke is solid and plays good defense, but with the 2 freshmen blue chippers starting to heat up, I think it's a matter of betting on the future and maybe Luke doesn't fit into that picture. That's my take.

torch said,

"I don't think Meyer can handle the boards any better than VN does."

i dont think meyer would be any worse at rebounding and defending that position than newborne either. right now newborne is averaging just over 2 rebounds per game and meyer is half that averaging less than 1/2 the pt as newborne.

newborne doesnt really give us much other than a nice 12-15 foot jumper when open imo. and luke can probably give us that as well.

the 4 spot continues to be our achilles heel. our best games are the ones that johnson showed up and put out on. our stinkers are musical power forward nights.

Luke does need to play more. When he comes in he always makes something happen or has limited mistakes. That steal in the first half is the best example of him immediately coming off the bench and playing well.

VN actually played pretty well last night making a few good passes and actually went to the line. The minutes should come from Drejaj's. He has struggled and until he is in shape or at 100% he shouldn't be playing. We talked earlier about how quick Brad is to pull JJ out for mistakes (and rightfully so last night), but Drejaj made some of the same mistakes JJ made (missed rebound and turnovers) in the second half last night and he continues to play major minutes.

I liked Polk's defensive play last night. He caused 2 a lot of problems bringing the ball up.

Meyer gives up too much size wise especially if he is the big ( and I use that term loosely) in a 4 guard offense like VN was last night. In a normal situation he may be a better rebounder than VN but matched up against a 6'8 240 guy he has no chance.

Wrong Luke Meyer I've seen. Slow footed, deliberate offensively (slow to get his shot off, inability to create offense of any kind off the dribble, overmatched against quicker defenders), maybe soft defensively because of his feet-overmatched at division I. BTW steals are not always the indication of great defense-overplay, cheating, reaching with your hands can also cost your team defensively. Bottom line is Luke Meyer is going to continue to get no minutes until an offensive scheme is created that allows him to use alot of screens or one in which he gets alot of open looks by defensive collapses. SLU is not doing either right now.