Iowa Loss .... 60 to 50 ....

Taj79

two high quality recruits a year sounds great and I would love that. I'm assuming your are talking about a TL and a KL (type talent) every year.

I would also take a IV, a TL, another IV, and a KL/JF/MP (pick one) over a four year period, and then fill in the other scholarships with solid role players like IO, AD, DP, LM, DB, JJ, VN, BH, and I think you win a ton of games.

Unfortunately, it may take two or three years before we know if a particular freshman class had two high quality recruits.

I have been critical of Soderberg at times, but in fairness to him, he hasn't had the school's commitment to win either. Did I think Soderberg would be able to overcome his disadvantages? No, and frankly, he hasn't. A new AD, a new Arena are needed help and signs...but they alone do not define commitment to me. Certainly not enough to overcome the long long previous lack of one. They are great initial steps, and frankly long overdue.

The STL area most years will have a handful of kids capable of playing at SLU or better. If he can get one of those each year, that is a start. But as I have said before, I don't care where the players come from. What people need to understand is that it will take a good recruit a year at least to get experience and adjust to the college game. That is why he needs one in each class. If he can get a Liddell and Lisch ...one or two a year for multiple years in a row...AND sprinkle in one superstar every so many years....he must land a stud recruit ...an immediate impact player the next few years. Sure it is all easier said than done.

For now, the hoops budget has been reported to be low and not up to standards. The facilities are below standard as well.

It is a good start to get the local kids first who can play...and then maybe he can land a more highly touted recruit or two locally or nationally. Since Soderberg has made slow progress in doing this, imo he doesn't have a large margin for error the next couple of years. Current needs are point guard, power forward, shooting guard. Other people could probably offer more on DM coming in next year...but he doesn't play any of the above mentioned positions...and frankly probably won't see a lot of playing time til year 2 at least. SLU is paying the price right now with their upperclassmen...or lack of quality upperclassmen players. Do you really think Soderberg will still be the coach if they do not make the NCAA's the next two years(not counting this one?

If you win, people will come to games. Levick has a track record of getting students to go. Even if the team stinks....it imo is not a big challenege to get students to go to games. First, gotta schedule the games like Gonzaga and Iowa etc...named schools. Without football, the competition for student support is minimal. The games themselves need a rock n' roll atmosphere. Go to games in other cities...all kinds of stuff going on....great sound system, fitting music for the atmosphere...etc...catered to STUDENTS AND YOUNG ADULTS...not the John Dough 40 year alum. This is Levick's area...There is NO reason SLU can't have a goal of MINIMUM 3000 students at most home games...at least the decent ones, and conference games. When recruiting undergrads, the basketball program needs to be advertised and executed as THE place to be as far as University events are concerned. No more apathy....marketing efforts and promotions catered to students.. As long as the team makes progress towards winning, they will come.

You have to make a commitment from a university standpoint...what do you want to be? Do you want to be a top 25 program? So far, pertly his fault, and partly not his fault, Soderberg has failed to bring in players good enough to win basketball games. This is objective fact. This year's class takes a little pressure off...but not for long. If you can fill a need, ...point guard, power forward, shooter...for next year...the prgress continues....if DM is all you have and he can't make an impact...you stay the same or take a step back. That would put more pressure to get 2 or 3 guys in next year's class. If this year's class isn't followed up with better classes, at least one the next two years, ...people will watch Lisch and Lddell play .500 ball theri senior year under a new coach.

tseugnekillib,

You don't have to wait 3-4 ywars to see about a player. It is easy to see that Liddell is a player, and Lisch, though not as advanced as Liddell, will be a solid player...as opposed to other current or past players who took or are taking longer to develop if at all. The hope is that SLU will be able to recruit more Lisch/Liddell level players. Now some of them won't develop...it isn't a sure thing. But the expectation should be one or two kids in same recruiting level as Lisch and Liddell. AND...once in a while throw in a top level recruit, i.e. higher than those two once every 4-5 years. You have to start with kids who can at least come off of the bench and get minutes and solid play their first year.

Courtside, I had to think a little bit about what you were posting. I don't necessarily disagree with your recruiting goals - it should not be impossible for Brad to do. What I do wonder about is your assertation that Brad should have already done this by now. I know this is his 4th season but really he only has had 2 full years as a head coach - if I am counting correctly - to recruit. The first year as a coach the recruiting season was really already over and he just had to get bodies since Romar left the cupboard practically bare. The next season he had one full year and did not make a big splash but was setting some foundations. The third season was his second full recruiting year and he nabbed TL and KL. Now I agree, in his 3rd full recruiting year he has to at the very least duplicate the last class - is he, who knows but I like you are getting a little nervous. As far as the administration not being supportive - how do you define support? I think the arena is a very demonstrable sign, you talked about the bb budget and I am a little confused because we have been told one thing in the past and then somebody - maybe you - posted some figures that contradicted that so I do not know what is going on with that, and finally, your saying we should be able to get 3000 kids to the game without any trouble - well that would be almost half of the undergrads and 1/4 of the total student enrollment - undergrad and graduate including doctoral and MD students. I am not sure most schools get that kind of % of turnout.

Cheese, most schools do not get that kind of student turnout. Doesn't mean it isn't realistic to have a goal of 3000 students. I am aware of your correct enrolment figures. Yes, that is a goal that should be out there. Of course getting a 1000 etc...first....but it should be a goal, a realistic goal.

I said if Soederberg doesn't make the NCAA's next year or the year after...that would be three more years including this one.

Does SLU want a top 25 program within the next 5-10 years or not?

courtside,

I have never seen the numbers, but we have been told that SLU's bball budget was mid-level for the C-USA. If that is true, I would wager serious money that SLU's bball budget ranks in the top 6 in the A-10.

It's not the budget, it's dear old West Pine. Until the new arena starts coming out of the ground, Soderberg is at a serious recruiting disadvantage. Again, it's not the bball budget....it's West Pine.

3000 students per game at the Savvis.....your dreaming! Maybe someday, if we are winning 20+ games per year in the new on-campus arena.

Keep in mind that while TL and KL came in together.....they did not graduate from high school in the same year. At best, we would be lucky to get a KL or a TL out of St. Louis every year. Dustin Maguire will help and will be a piece of the winning puzzle, but he is not a TL or a KL. There are no TLs or KLs in St. Louis this year. The metro St. Louis area is too inconsistent talent-wise for SLU to get a potentially great player every year.

We both have the same dreams for our Billiken bball team.....we just see different roads in getting there!

As I said, I don't care where the kids come from. Some years there aren't local level players capable of major D I ball. Fine, go somewhere else to get them. You do have to establish yourself a little in your own backyard first.

And yes, you read correctly 3000. There is no reason that cannot happen in the next 5 years or less. None.

Raise your expectations. Make the games an event not to be missed by students and young adults, and quit catering to 80 year old men. No offense to any old-timer. But it is about the kids, about the atmosphere, and winning. I expect extreme aggressiveness from Levick.