Bills/Terps Soccer

Taj79

There are no moral victories. Either you win and enjoy the glory or you lose and try again another day. With that said, I am sorely disappointed with the end of SLU's season. We SLU fans can blame all kinds of things (field, refs, etc) but it came down to the fact that our defense allowed three goals on three straight corner kicks. That is unacceptable when your offense has given you a two goal lead. A two goal lead is a gift and also a curse in games like the one on Sunday but it is also presents a time when veteran players (ie SLU defense) step up. I realize Pusateri wasn't in there, but seriously, four goals in 11 minutes is unbelievable.

And one other thing, if Vedad continues to act like a crybaby punk ass every game, the fans at SLU will turn on him. You can't take Brian McBride's place in the record books or the hearts of SLU fans without showing some class. How many people talk about Matt McKeon these days? If they ever do, his exploits are always followed by the fact that he was a pr!ck. Grow up Vedad.

Otherwise, what a freakin year for SLU. The talent lived up to expectations and then some. I am sorely excited for next year...well at least I will be after I am convinced we've put our defensive responsibilities in good hands. This team was a joy to watch at Hermann and held their own against ranked teams game in and game out. Donigan is a hell of a coach and I wish him luck with recruiting for next year.

Good luck to Maryland.

Vedad Ibisevic (out of Roosevelt High) set the SLU record this year for points scored by a freshman, accumulating 40 points off 18 goals and 4 assists. To put that in perspective, Brian McBride had 29 points and Brad Davis had 28 points in their freshmen seasons. Vedad is 6'2 175 which is big for an 18 year old freshman soccer player, especially a forward. Plus he's fast and has a nose for the goal.

Anyway, Maryland played him very hard on Sunday and in his typical fashion, he took offense to it, got a yellow card, hit a guy later in the game which started a near brawl, and he got ejected. Not classy at all.

He's got the talent to be one of the best out of SLU but there are several issues that he needs to work on ie, checking back to his midfield for passes, passing, making runs laterally instead of toward the goal all the time, and checking his emotions/temper.

Referee's must have had it out for SLU athletes this past weekend: SLU b-ball (one of the best I've been to...thanks Kshoe) gets killed in the foul department and SLU soccer gets the same thing at Maryland. SLU was called for 11 fouls in the first half while Maryland had 1.