Soccer Elite 8 at Maryland, Dec.6th 1:00pm

kwyjibo

The game is Saturday which makes it tough for me (Sunday and I think I could have made it). Should be a good game against a excellent, well-coached opponent.

I guess the Maryland schedulers did not care about the big (basketball) game against Arizona. AAARRGH!

It's on the Green Line. A few years ago I was in DC for a weekend and went out to College Park on the Metro. The walk to campus from the train stop in College Park is less than a mile (there are cabs if you are not willing to walk).

Shouldn't be too bad .... as noted by kwyjibo .... but its not one straight shot from where you are to where you want to go. Take the Blue Line at Foggy Bottom (GWU) downtown to the Red Line at Metro Center. Take the Red Line over one stop to Gallery Place and change to the Green Line towards Greenbelt (Md.). Get off at the next-to-last stop on the Green Line which is College Park.

According to a friend of mine who's daughter is a senior at UMd - College Park (we're old, y'know) its about a 3 or 4 mile hike from the metro station to Byrd Stadium. The soccer field, Ludwig Field, is behind the football stadium ... you would have to pass the football field to get to Ludwig. Game time is 1:00 p.m. If you go to the Maryland-College Park website, click on "The University" and then the drawdown menu box "Sights and Sounds," it will show "Campus Map" as your first sight and sound. It does not identify the location of the metro stop but I believe it is at the bottom of the map as you look at it on your monitor. Ludwig is near the top.

According to this person, there are sometimes cabs available at the metro stop. You might wnat to give that a try if you so desire. There is also a campus bus but that might have ridership retrictions that you can't qualify for. But try .... it can't hurt to ask.

If I were you, I'd give myself about two hours to get there Saturday morning. Because its not a standard work day, trains run on a more limited schedule as you know. I go greenbelt to the Pentagon and that is usually a 30 to 40minute ride with a train change. You are making two changes on a less-traveled day. Walking through the UMd area is as challenging as any other urban environment .... its not a bad neighborhodd but any one can be given the situation.

I'd join you but I have other issues that day. Maryland is missing some key guys with injuries so they can be had. Good luck Bills.

My preference is generally to walk so when I was there we walked (we had time and it was a beautiful day). I was there to see the soccer team (Maryland with Taylor Twellman) play Duke (with Jay Heaps) who are now teammates in the MLS. Maryland's soccer coach, Sasho, is an old friend of my brother-in-law. I lived in Hartford when he was coach there and used to see him occasionally.

The neighborhood is very nice (if a bit tweedy). There is no way its "3-4 miles" but maybe a mile to campus edge and another to the soccer field (probably LESS). So you may want to get a cab or take the shuttle.

There is a shuttle bus that even runs on weekend (starts at noon on Saturday apparently) from the College Park Metro stop to various places on campus.

http://www.inform.umd.edu/shuttle/routes.htm

My friend's a short guy ... maybe in his paces it was "like" three to four miles.

I do know that you can see campus buildings from the metro as we train by what with the leaves being down now .... but just don't know the lay of the land enough. Have been to the bookstore on Route 1 but that is all. Don't pay attention enough now that my oldest has ruled UMd out as here college choice.

Bring 'em luck, Steve.

From the UMd web site:

"Take the Green Line to the College Park Metro Station. UM Shuttle bus service operates between the College Park Metro Station and the Stamp Student Union throughout the year, with varying schedules during summer and semester breaks."

(The student union appears to be quite close to the stadium and other athletic fields.)

I am not definitely going, I am considering it though. Exams are coming up (unfortunitely), so it will depend on how much work I got in front of me, plus my desire to see the Arizona game. I was just seeing how hard it would be for me to get there.

Steve