In search of the Billikens

WH

Hey folks. Looking for some help on recent history of the Billikens. If any of you read the A-10 board, I am the person who does annual preseason previews of all the A-10 teams.

(See below for A-10 board. Note that the 2003-2004 previews no longer appear at the top since the season is over, but they will still turn up in a search).

http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/foru...p?s=&forumid=79

In expectation of St. Louis' move to the A-10, I've taped about 7-8 Billikens games from the past year, which I will review during the dog days of off-season. I also plan to go back through prior Blue Ribbon yearbooks to get a better idea of the state of the program through the past decade or so.

However, I wouldnt mind a little help from willing St. Lo fans. I'm looking for info on the team's style of play, talent level, recruiting ability, fan base and support, media coverage, arena, coaching acumen and so forth, extending back a few years.

I've been reading this board regularly, so I have some idea. Still, any help, great or small, would be appreciated.

Here's a little help for you (past 10 years)

our dedicated group can fill in the blanks

04-05 (9-21) bad year all around

03-04 (19-13) NIT, 2nd Round

02-03 (16-14) NIT, Tied for 4th place in CUSA, upset No. 2 Louisville and broke its 17-game winning streak.

01-02 (15-16), last season for Lorenzo Romar before he leaves for UDub.

00-01 (17-14), top player Mo Jeffers drafted by Sacramento Kings in second round.

99-00 (19-14), Won CUSA Tournament title as No. 9 seed. Miracle in Memphis. Lost to Utah in first round of NCAA Tournament. 9-22 (FT)

98-99 (15-16), Last Year with Spoon

97-98 (23-8?), NCAA Second Round, beat UMass in first round, Lost to NCAA champion Kentucky in second. larry hughes was the National Freshman of the Year in his only year of college ball.

96-97 (11-18), Our last dreadful year before 04-05.

95-96 (16-14), NIT, lost at Minnesota in first round.

94-95 (24-9) ?, NCAA Second Round, beat Minnesota and lost to Wake Forest and Tim Duncan by five.

93-94 (22-10)?, NCAA, first round. lost to maryland

i may be off on the records by a game or two in some years. as you can see, we have enjoyed our share of successes over the years, but we've haven't been able to keep it going for an extended period of time. lots of peaks and valleys here. We been to the NCAA four times and NIT four times, but there have been some rough seasons mixed in there. that leaves us bills fans a little frustrated because we've experienced a taste of the big time, but not enough to satisfy our appetites.

for about a five year stretch, we were in the top 10 nationally in attendance and getting more than 20,000 of many nights, but that was during the mid to late 90's when spoon had it really going.

the biggest crowd came in 98-99 when we beat illinois in the dome in front of about 33,000. it was the first basketball game play in the then-TWA Dome.

Our biggest nonconference victories in that span, in no particular order

Kansas (99-00) on ESPN

Illinois (98-99), Big 10 Champions

Missouri (99-00), Ist meeting in 20 years at the dome

Iowa State (95), Fred Hoiberg teams

California (99), NCAA

Southern Illinois, several victories over a top quality team

at Dayton (04), NCAA Tournament team

Valparaiso (97-98) Sweet 16 Team

Our biggest conference victories came when we beat No. 1 Cincinnati in the C-USA Tournament (K-Mart's broken leg), No. 2 Louisville in Feb. of 03, and No. 5 Louisville at Freedom Hall in '97 (I believe they went to the Elite Eight that year).

we've played home and home series with the likes of Kansas, Arizona, Georgia Tech (last year's NCAA runners-up), Illinois, UCLA, Missouri (3-game series), Southern Illinois, Iowa State, Vanderbilt, Iowa, West Virginia, California, Gonzaga (next year), plus the possibility of a home and home with NCAA champion north carolina. We have been playing dayton pretty regularly for the past 10 or so years and the results have been pretty much even. Our biggest exposure game was in '95 when we played UMASS with Roe, Camby and Co. at the Savvis on ESPN in front of 22,000 and Dick Vitale in the house.

I hope this helps you out a little bit. we'll see you in the loop.

bad boyz for life