KY and coaching

slu72

listened to Steve Lavin on sportstalk this morning. Subj of Tubby Smith came up and how he's feeling the heat at UK. Lavin said it's the same everywhere at big time programs...get to the final 4 or else update your resume. That's pretty harsh....just get us to the sweet 16 and I'd be estatic...delirious...

Inspite of what Lavin said I can't believe that Tubby is under any pressure. I know Ky. has high expectations but they went very far for a young team with a freshman point guard. They better hope that Tubby doesn't leave for the $$$ of the NBA.

I have heard different things on Tubby. Some local scribes love Tubby and some don't. It is mixed. I think he is a terrific coach and has done fine at UK. They will be loaded next year, big time. If people want to judge him on the end of OT plays...that is too bad for those people. There will ALWAYS be some outspoken boosters, good ol boys who won't except Tubby. He never was going anywhere, and is determined to win at UK....I hope he wins another title there. I for one like him. Every year schools like UK UNC etc...only care if you win it all...and if you do win it all...they say...he won't win it again next year. etc....

How about Roy Williams...did anybody here his audio this week...discussing the story of a UNC "fan" bumping into him saying "coach don't let us down," ....Williams a little ticked, snapped back at him...as if to say buddy, I have more vested in this, in my little finger than you ever will....good for him.

Having graduated from high school in Lexington, KY and then UK, it's easy for me to understand. But, unless you've lived there for years, trashing Tubby doesn't make sense. So here is an example of the average UK fan's mentality - buying a house for the average UK fan:

1. When you buy a house it better have a goal in the driveway.

2. No goal means you pay to have one erected

3. If the house you are looking to buy doesn't have enough land for a big enough court to shoot a three, don't buy the house.

4. If your job doesn't close for UK games, get another job that pays enough for your basketball court!

5. If the house you are looking at, can't get a satellite for the UK games, don't buy the house.

6. If the driveway isn't level enough for a good court, don't buy the house.

7. Never buy a house with a drop off behind the basket, cause it's rough chasing the stupid balls down the hill or over the cliff.

8. Never buy a house close to Rupp Arena, the fans will tear up your lawn should UK lose.

Now some of these I have done myself, all are real concerns when buying a house in Lexington.

So take thie above as a sign of - we better win it all this year, or else it's time for a change. Is Tubby a decent coach? He's a better recruiter than a coach. Are the UK faithful restless? You bet, he hasn't won it all with his own recruits. He did it with Pitino's players!

....ah....typcial KY chatter. sigh....

He did it with Pitino's players. And Weber and Williams did it this year(Final Four) with Dougherty and Self's recruits.....and Lowry had a nice season with Weber's kids....and so on and so on....when does it end? You could go throughout the tourney and play that game.

It is true at certain unrealistic schools like UNC, UK etc...that every year a national title is expected by many of the "fans."

KY wasn't exactly winning any national titles for a long time prior to Pitino. Tubby wins one, and then follows with some very successful teams at UK. It'd be different if UK had seen a significant drop in play....

Tubby isn't going anywhere, and once again UK will be very good next season.