2 Jesuit U's Are Going Dancin

Schasz

funk and jacobsen are both from sioux city, iowa. when jacobsen was a senior he led sioux city east to the 4-a title (iowa' largest schools), and funk led his team, bishop heelan, to a runner up finish in class 3-a in the same year as jacobsen.

steve alford recently said that he screwed up on jacobsen. he was out of scholarships and wanted jacobsen to walk on but no cigar for iowa.

Don't count on it - SMC. Like I said, the big boys take care of their other big brothers. SMC needed to win the tourney to be assured a spot. Had they won, their conf. would have had 2. Gonzaga has earned a national rep. SMC has not. They will go the way of ORU.

I'll betcha a nickel you're wrong. If St. Mary's, with an estimated RPI of 31, is shut out -- or if other "non-name" schools at that level get bumped, for example, by Ohio State or Iowa -- I wouldn't even count out the possibility of lawsuits. ORU isn't a valid comparison, because its estimated RPI was 78 even before the loss.

Cheesman...Bonwich stole some of my thunder. St. Marys has a RPI of 31 on Palm's website and 30 on Pomeroy's website. I'm not sure that ANY team with a RPI that good has been left with their dancin shows left in the closet.

For Bonwich...they don't have to worry about the Buckeyes this year even if OSU runs the Big 10 and wins the tourney as they are not eligible for the Big Dance this year.

Then the NCAA selection hacks will be making a precedence as it has meant a lot in the past, and like I said...someone can check me on it...no team with a RPI as good as St. Marys has EVER been left out of the dance.

"I never said they should not go..."

Well, we could quibble about future vs. subjunctive tenses, but what you said was

"SMC has not. They will go the way of ORU."

And my thinking on this point has more to do with the PR blitz the NCAA has put on for the past week regarding the selection process, and specifically the "transparency" of the selection process. Brandt was even on freakin' NPR, that bastion of sports journalism, trying to explain how fair it is.

Again, though, it does have a lot to do with money -- and if the NCAA shows a pattern of discrimination against "non-name" schools, I bet we'll see lawyers enter the picture. And the NCAA hasn't fared all that well on the legal front lately.

I think that the WCC conference has a pretty decent overall RPI rating the last time I bothered to look. The only way I see them not making it, is if there are many more Oakland's of the college basketball world who unexpectedly win their conference tourney. Some of the big conferences like the Big 10 are down so at this point and don't figure to get their usual number. I would not worry if I were St. Marys. I don't even really see them as a bubble team. IMHO they will really get screwed if they don't get an invite.

I went make and reread my orginal post - never did I say SMC did not deserve to go to the NCAA - all I said was that they may very well find themselves screwed and could end up the way ORU has found themselves. I agree with your post that a 31 RPI is a strong case but lets wait and see. The big boys are not about to let themselves get screwed without a fight.