Polk to be on Channel 4 tonight

Interviewed by Steve Savard during 10 PM sports. Highlights of their discussion:

--The intensity level of college ball is more constant through the game, but he feels he is making the adjustment.

--He feels his quickness is his greatest asset as a player.

--His 37 pt. performance in the Vashon state title game was "an exclamation point on my high school career."

--He has 2 younger brothers, ages 11 and 9, who look up to him. The chance to play before family and friends influenced his decision to attend SLU.

--Was a member of the National Honor Society in H.S. Academics are important to him (his mother made sure of that!)

--If he could never play another bball game, he would like to be remembered as a person who played the game "with a smile on my face."

Polk seems like a really good kid - he's bright and energetic and should be a good leader for this team for the next four years.

As much as I am a fan of all our players, it really is cool that our team will have a local flavor, both with this year's and next year's recruiting classes. After two exhibition games, it's clear that Polk and Meyer both have their own cheering sections. I've even seen people wearing Billiken blue Luke Meyer t-shirts. I'm sure Liddell and Lisch will have plenty of friends and family members in attendance when they join the team as well.

The Polk interview demonstrated what a great job our coaches did in his recruiting. He said several times how much he liked Coach and how he really liked his intensity.

I agree that we will gain a lot of new fans who come out to see our local recruits. It will increase next year with Tommie and Kevin. But the best thing of all is that those four are all excellent players--not just bench sitting role players--future starters with star potential. If we really go on a tear, I think the local media will be much more interested because they will be able to tell the stories with some emphasis on the local kids. The bottom line is that I love to see us get local kids as long as they are real players who can contribute. This year should be very exciting and I would predict that this year will be the base upon which a great run of seasons will be built. Go Bills!