SLU Soccer Bills vs UMSL

slufanskip

First of all this game never should have been played. It wasn't even funny. 6-0 at the half ... no starters in the 2nd half and we still won 8-0.

It is very hard to diagnose anybody in a game like this ... all the starters looked good. So I am not going to even attempt to give an evaluation.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I hope the soccer ratings throw out games played against non-Div I teams as playing a D-II that has already lost to two other d-II teams would definitely hurt if included. I don't think it is a bad game to play for local interest but shouldn't it be an exhibition?

The POST reported that this game was scheduled due to Vedad Ibesevic's Red Card during the Maryland game this past season. NCAA rules say that he would have had to sit out the next game played...thus the season opener since Maryland won. Donigan figured it would be good to not schedule Indiana or someone like that for the season opener without his best player.

Vedad took the money and went to the Paris team too late in the summer to schedule someone else.

Went to the game, my first in 10 years or so because Little BillikenButch (5 yo) was asked to be a sideline ballboy.

A great night and a very comfortable atmosphere, but what's up with the way McDermott calls the plays? You get nothing for 10 minutes, then he announces every Billiken who touches the ball for 20 seconds then nothing again. I understand doing it after a shot, but he's randomly calling plays in the midlle of the field.

Just odd I thought, but it didn't diminish the good time we had, despite the one-sided outcome.

Truman State and SIU-Ed are both ranked D-II teams if that is what you are asking.

I was questioning why play a D-II at all. I have never understood soft scheduling. If you want to work out different schemes and get players ready, that is what an exhibition is for. As for playing cupcakes as Vedad insurance (or Reggie insurance last year in hoops), there is a distinct lack of subtlety to the scheme. Fine, don't play Indiana but play a middling D-I team at least.

It is possible that playing a D-II team just get thrown out and it does not hurt in computer rankings for NCAA seeding. But remember two short years ago people on this board were up in arms in SLU's bad seeding (they had a good team with just an OK computer rating because of C-USA and scheduling). SLU obviously plays a hard non-conference schedule most of the time. I just never understood the klinkers.

BillikenButch,

If you're lucky enough to sit near the press box next time, take a peak in there when the Bills shank a shot, have a defensive lapse, and mistime a run. McDermott fires out of his seat, walks around for five seconds and then shouts things like "Will someone please give a serviceable cross!" And then stands there and shakes his head. I covered the Bills for the U. News a few years back and witnessed this every game. It's quite funny because it's so ridiculous.

The in-game commentary is alright. He does it just enough to where it's not on my nerves (completely).