Salisbury U?

Quickdraw

Not being one to study the ranks of Div. III athletics I was surprised to stumble in my reading upon a Maryland school called Salisbury University. The interesting thing is that they have apparently settled upon that name only recently, having previously been referred to as Salisbury State! I like the old name better. Pick, as your Varsity Song, something performed by Meatloaf...

Its an "eastern shore" school out here. Maryland has essentially three parts ..... the eastern shore side of the Chesapeake Bay, the western shore (main side w/Balto, DC and Annapolis) and the triangular wedge out west usually referred to as the mountains.

Pennsylvania went through the same thing .. takes all the "State" references off their schools as they grew. A series of state colleges set up to educate teachers, as they grew, their names shortened. My wife's for example went from Kutztown State Teachers' College to Kutztown State College to Kutztown University. I just call them the "Klutzs" for short. Why she stays with me I'll never know. I guess it because when the shoe fits ...

Being on the eastern shore, their nickname is the "Sea Gulls." They play football against folks like Kean (NJ) and Buffalo State and some of the SUNY schools. Their soccer team was ranked #7 in their division at the beginning of the year. Their main sport, I think, is the local lacrosse passion. They always battle for the NCAA Division III title. Overall, it has a nice local tradition.

Its an educational option here in Maryland that ranks with some other state schools like Frostburg State, Western Maryland, and Towson Univeristy. Towson just went through some of the same stuff as well.

I'm sure there had to be some good jokes out there reference Salsbury Steak. Kind of like the klutzs .......