TBT implementing radical new way to conclude games

https://www.thetournament.com/news/tbt-announces-elam-ending-be-used-all-tbt2018-games

I came across this while trying to find out if any former Billikens would be competing in The Tournament this summer.  This "Elam Ending" thing grabbed my attention.

First implemented during TBT’s play-in round in 2017, the “Elam Ending” – designed by Mensa member and basketball super fan Dr. Nick Elam – eliminates deliberate fouling at the end of games, ensures the final minutes are played at the same pace and flow as the rest of the game, and guarantees every game ends on a made basket. Under the rule, at the first dead ball after the four minute mark in the fourth quarter, the game clock shuts off. A Target Score is set by adding seven to the leading team’s score. The first team to reach the Target Score wins.

2018%20Elam%20Ending_Rectanglev7.jpg

“When we tested the Elam Ending during our play-in games last year, we were floored by how much fans loved it,” said Jon Mugar, founder and CEO of TBT. “What Nick taught us is that deliberate fouling happens in 50% of games, but is only effective 1.5% of the time, so fans are having to put up with a strategy that sucks up time and rarely works. Data aside, the energy in the arena during the Elam Ending portion of our games was awesome.

Interesting.  And bizarre.  I'm interested in reading others' thoughts on this idea.

First of all, deliberate fouling doesn't usually begin until within the last two minutes of games; I think just under four minutes is way too soon.

Second, there should be a margin threshold to activate this Elam ending.  If the margin is greater than, say, four possessions at whatever time it would kick, then let them play out the game.  Most teams trailing big don't usually foul purposely.

Third, I fail to see how the rule eliminates deliberate fouling.  If the opposing team has a poor foul shooter, you'd still want to put him on the free throw line to extend the amount of time it takes the team that's ahead from accumulating another 7 points.

I think it's gimmicky and bastardizes the rules of the game.  I can't image any normal league or level would ever implement such a variation.  It would probably be great on the playground or in the back yard, though.

By the way, it doesn't appear there's any team of SLU alumni in the tournament this year, nor have I found any former Billikens among the free agents.

I was thinking that if there were a team of former Bills from the most recent glory days period, I can't imagine they'd fare well in a scrimmage against the current Bills squad at Chaifetz the way they did a few years ago when they dominated Crews's squad.

16 minutes ago, ChangeOfPace said:

You don’t think a team of seasoned professionals would fare well against a good college team? Uh, okay.

Well, I actually meant to say that I don't think they'd dominate or have their way the way they did back then.  To say they "wouldn't fare well" would be wrong; I agree with you on that.  I probably omitted "as."

• Quality Is Job 1 changed the title to TBT implementing radical new way to conclude games