? about prep schoolers

ACE

... BLaw said "DePaul would have been good ..." but I would offer that it should read "DePaul COULD have been good ..." I find it somewhat unnerving to automatically assume these kids are actually as good as their press clippings given that broy and others continually point out how these "recruiting gurus" and the like are mostly self-invented. Let's not count things as final just yet ..... and that includes some of our own recruits.

Good point. I don't think DePaul would have been conference title material but Leitao has proven he's a good coach and a kid who gets drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft (especially when Jameer Nelson was sitting there, Miami is going to regret passing on him) you have to think they would have been an upper eschelon CUSA squad with Wright and the kids they have back.

taj, dorrell wright was for real. i saw him with my own eyes at the shootout. had like 20 pts in less than half the game (apparently was sick). no he would have been a difference maker for depaul. i had not heard the story about him not qualifying though. i just assumed he decided the college game was a waste of his time, which i tend to agree with.

not the same player. stevenson was explosive, but had really no other true basketball skills. wright was hitting three pointers, bringing the ball down the court, guarding players, etc. he may not be a star, but he will be a very good player.

Okay .. sure .. not the same player. But would you not agree that both were taken under the same circumstances? I watched one of those "ESPN Top 25" shows the other night. It was the Top 25 Sports Flops of all times. Some interesting items ... some that I had completely forgot about .. like Michael Jordan-BASEBALL player, the Boz, Andre Ware, the XFL, and so on. In the top ten was Rick Pitino-PRO coach. And I think in the top five was Chris Washburn.

If not Stevenson, how about Kwame Brown? Eddie Curry? And now we have this Telfair and Livinstone and Howard on the horizon as well as a slew of other kids from the high school level. Sure, you can say LeBron and Garnett, and go way back to Moses Malone. Two things I would not do ... coach 'em or pay any money to watch 'em.

We need to revisit this in about three years.