Why Liddell Should Choose SLU

The most important reason is that SLU alumni take care of their own. I really respect the effort many alumni have done to ensure ex-Billiken players are successful after their basketball careers are over. Now I don't know what ALL of the ex-players are doing, but I have noticed a few and I think they were doing very well. I even know of a Billiken player, who played a very short time there, but was given a break when he ran into legal trouble. Trust me, the value of a SLU education GOES A LONG WAY in this region.

I really wish parents and other advisors would look at the total picture. True, there are some well-connected boosters who can line up your pockets in the SHORT TERM. However where are those boosters when that kid graduated?? I think they're off trying to attract that next great high school stud.

As for choosing a college based on NBA potential, has anyone looked at the recent NBA drafts?? You have players being drafted across all ends of the earth. If they can find someone playing in Argentina, Brazil or Israel, trust me they can find you at SLU or any other college IF YOU GOT THE SKILLS.

I wish players, parents and friends realized how truly difficult it is to make to the NBA. There are so many All-Americans, all-conference studs, who don't get a sniff at the next level. When choosing a college, I just wished that people would look at the institution, rather than the coaching staff.

Do they prepare you for life? Look at the ex-Billikens. I don't know of one that isn't doing well.

Are they providing you with the resources and instruction to maximize your basketball skills? Again, I'd say SLU is. Soderberg, Romar, and Spoonhour were ALL strong in building the requisite level of fundamentals that are needed to reach your potential. They play in a well-respected conference that has sent many players to the NBA.

Tommie, I'm glad you have reconsidered and plan to go to SLU. I think your parents made the right decision for you. Plus, is it so bad to team up with your great friend, Dwayne Polk??

I think no matter what anyone says ... the largest reason for choosing a school is your relationship with the coaching staff and the players you have met ... and that is as it should be. A college athelete spends so much time with this "family" that it has to be that way. I also think if a coach leaves any student with less than 2 years at the school should be free to go if he chooses. That will make schools reconsider letting coaches out of their contracts for the next best offer and do a better job of hiring the right coach in the first place.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

certainly plays a significant role for recruits, but I disagree that's how it should be. If I was a parent of a recruit, I feel you need to assess how an institution would meet my son's needs. Will this institution provide support to succeed in the classroom? Do they have evidence showing that they're graduating athletes. Then I would look at the school's reputation and curriculum choices and see if they fit the wants of my son.

There are so many reasons to choose a college that to base it solely on a relationship with a coaching staff is too restrictive in my opinion.

I agree there are other factors ... but real world says it is the coaches and players that are the biggest factor. I know if I chose a school and before or after my 1st year the coach left ... I would be angry. There are too many coaches moving for their own good without regard to the students they've committed to. ie ... Dennis Francione

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Tommie, I'm glad you have reconsidered and plan to go to

SLU. I think your parents made the right decision for you.

Plus, is it so bad to team up with your great friend, Dwayne Polk??

Maybe Tommie made a bad decision. Amazingly his stats went up when he verbal to UNLV. According to Hoopmasters his stats are 24pg, 7rpg, 9apg, and 2bpg. Nearly a triple double average. This is crazy.