Shooting %'s

slufan13

It's been discussed before, but I feel like we never come up with any sort of explanation. Maybe there isn't one. But here's our A10 FG%, 3FG%, and FT% and rank since 2010. (numbers are for the whole season, not just A10 play)

FG%

2010 - 43.8 % (7th)

2011 - 43.7 % (7th)

2012 - 45.2 % (6th)

2013 - 44.7 % (7th)

2014 - 44.5% - (T 6th)

2015 - 41.3% (13th)

3FG%

2010 - 33.4% (7th)

2011 - 32.6% (13th)

2012 - 36.2% (4th)

2013 - 34.7% (8th)

2014 - 31.9% (12th)

2015 - 32.4% (6th)

FT%

2010 - 61.3% (13th)

2011 - 65.6% (11th)

2012 - 71.6% (6th)

2013 - 70.9% (7th)

2014 - 70.8% (T 4th)

2015 - 65.7% (7th)

Somehow we've made 3 NCAA's, won 2 A10 titles, and had 20 wins in 4 of those years despite being either middle of the pack or at the bottom compared to the rest of the A10. Why can't we recruit shooters? Why do shots die at SLU? Is it a product of our offense? Defense not getting enough turnovers leading to easy baskets?

Just trying to start a newer topic here instead of beating the same topics to death again. Doesn't seem like our shooting will be significantly improved next year either based on our incoming recruits, but I just have no clue why it seems like our guys regress as shooters rather than improve throughout their 4 years. Too much time spent on defense and offensive sets? Too much time in the weight room? Tired legs? Players not working on their shooting individually?

I think one contributor to our poor shooting is our defensive emphasis to set up for charges instead of blocking the shot. We probably lead the nation in this category. Our guys face this in practice everyday but in real games opponents only setup for charges when they must and typically contest the shot with a block. Shot deterrence goes a long way and allows teams to use their athleticism...watch Kentucky, Uconn or Louisville.

When we face these teams our shooting percentage lowers because the shot are not as open as they are in practice. Case in point...MC or TL seldom hit contested shot but will hit the wide open ones. Same with AM but he possesses the quickest release on the team so his success rate is higher. Put a bigger guard on him and his numbers drop as well. Everyone seems to be used to setting up for charges on this team so penetrating guards, small forwards, and bigs know to simply slice right into out defense to get that easy jumper or runner. It is seldom deterred! Every now and then JM puts his hands in there to block the shot. No one else does that on this team. I will settle for one guy setting up for the charge while another is trying to toss that crap out anyday. When we face athletic teams that go for the block and contest the jumper we will lose everytime. The successful teams have learned to mix it up. Athleticism can be lost if not used on a regular basis. Notice our bigs get blocked in the paint regularly. Could this also be why some players are not finishing around the rim? Just a thought. I am sure we will hear other ones. ?