off the subject a bit

alameda bob

I want all sports fans to know about the BIG high school football game on ESPN2 friday night at 5 PM PST. De la Salle (CA.) hosts Evangel Christian Academy (LA.), preseason #1 vs. #2. DLS has a 144 game win streak on the line. Check the website www.delasallesports.com if you don't believe me.

This story is more than just a game. Log onto the website and read the 2 stories fron todays Contra Costa Times. If you aren't home to watch this tonight, better set your VCR. The historys of these 2 schools the past 10 years is fascinating reading.

Once this game and the World Series is over, we can start counting the days until the AIA exhibition....11 to go Bills.

about 1,000 all male students. Run by the Christian Brothers, so the Academics have to be good from what I remember about CBC in St. Louis. I've seen them on TV several times, in person only twice. They are extremely well drilled. Hardly ever make a mistake or get penaltys. Not gigantic but strong and fast. Really fun to watch except they destroy the average HS team. So when they play another great team like ECA it is a very special event. I saw them play a Poly of Long Beach team last year that was favored over DLS and it was not as close as the 28-7 final score looked. The average score over the streak is 47-9...simply amazing.

DLS is up 19-3 in a bruising battle. It looks like the smaller quicker DLS lineman are winning the war in the trenches. Since some of them play both ways, I wonder if they will wear down in the second half? ECA's spread offense is pretty neat, but it isn't working too good yet. I expect more fireworks soon as the kickoff is coming up.

Bob, I read that De La Salle kept the streak going against Evangel. I did a little reading on the program and you can't help but be impressed, especially considering that they weren't too good before LaDouceur took the job there.

In addition to being well coached, does DLS normally have superior talent? Do most of their players go on to play D-1 football?

From what I can see by just reading the newspapers here and not having any contact with the school, the coach started out as 100% of the reason for the success. He answered a newspaper ad to get the job, made the kids believe in his system where they were accountable to each other, and they were soon undefeated. He is very low key, which seems remarkable to me in observing most coaches. Now they get good kids who want to play for a sucessful program, so they may never lose a game. Last night their best back was out with an injury, the starting QB went down halfway through the 2nd quarter, and they didn't miss a beat. They dominated on both sides of the ball, ended the game by taking a knee with a minute left on the ECA one yard line. I recommend you read the news stories on the www.delasallesports.com website. Two books are coming out soon about them. I would expect more TV coverage in the future too.