Maurice Scott having his troubles as coach

Why is this newsworthy? If you want to discuss the apathy of African-Americans playing baseball, then that's fine. I can discuss that with you and trust me, it's not Maurice Scott's fault. I applaud him for taking the time to work with the kids.

Why is this being posted on billikens.com? I could see it being posted on Bernie's forum.

my understanding is the football coach required the underclass football players to be on the track and field team. thus, a lot of good athletes are not on that baseball team. another example of "specialization" ruining high school sports.

I've heard from other schools, not East St. Louis, where football coaches forbid their players from playing baseball. I think it's ridiculous and a disservice to the kids. Maurice Scott is definitely in a situation where his hands are tied.

JMolina, I had a problem with your post because it looks like you're trying to embarrass a man without knowing the true facts. Tony LaRussa, Joe Torre or Bobby Cox couldn't turn around the East St. Louis program. Things won't change until the African-American community starts to support baseball again. Unfortunately, it's not well-liked.

Credit to Maurice Scott for making the effort to make East St. Louis competitive in baseball. Scott is trying to learn the game himself and is also learning how to teach it to his small group of players. Adding to Maurice's problem is that baseball may be the most balanced conference sport in the Southwestern conference. No easy games for the Flyers, absolutely none.