Woolard headed to the Big East?

duhhh. dan oldani was an old saint louis u friend of mine while in college. sorry matt.

If Doug is hired at USF, (and I hope he stays at SLU for a few more years) finding a more productive/qualifed replacement may not be that easy. I participated on two AD search committees at SLU and I didn't find the overall list of candidates overwhelmingly attractive. In the first effort, Joe Yates was hired. He was clearly the best candidate of those that applied. In the second effort, Debbie Yow was hired. Ms. Yow was clearly the best AD candidate in that hiring effort.

I'm convinced that SLU bball marketing will be a significantly easier task once the on campus arena is completed. First, the AD will be able to schedule more Friday and Saturday night games. Better available dates will also lead to contracts with better, higher profile opponents. Total control over the arena's scoreboard/message board will also help the marketing effort. Coach Soderberg's contined progress with improved recruiting (helped by the new arena) will mean more victories and with that .... more butts in the seats. Nothing like winning to enhance a team's marketing effort.

The budgets and our facilities for the non-revenue sports is more on-par with the A-10 schools. I expect to see an immediate win-loss improvement in all of the non-revenue sports once they begin competing in the A-10.

The biggest reason I want Doug to stay is because he is a basketball person and that he knows our men's bball is the main event and support's Brad Soderberg accordingly. I have heard Soderberg say at two different functions that he considers Doug "his partner" in reaching his (Brad's) goal of making the Final Four and winning a national championship.

Regarding's Doug's rep for being a micro-manager ...... so what. I have worked for micro-managers in the past, particularly in the Air Force. No big deal. They are the boss! If you work long enough you will work for all kinds of management styles. Does anybody know if Chuck Knight or some of the folks at A-B were micro-managers.. Is anybody's wife a micro-manager!

Again, I hope Doug stay's until Soderberg get's gets five-six years under his belt, with the new arena is fully operating, and until all of the conference changes have settled down.

I agree that micro managers abound in every walk of life and yes, there were a few that I ran into in my years at A-B. I never have liked working for a micro manager and I have moved on the first chance I got when I saw that the manager wasn't going any place soon. Then again I am a pretty independent person who never has enjoyed someone looking over my shoulder.

Great comments, tseugnekillib. I agree wholeheartedly with your observations. You implied a good point (maybe it was my inference): It will be difficult to hire a new AD DURING the fund raising period for the arena. The candidate faces a tough challenge albeit very doable for the right person. However, failure is not an option and would mean the potential end of a career (who would subsequently hire the guy/gal who could not complete the fund raising for a major project?). Playing devil's advocate, if you hire a person who thinks he/she can raise the money, you are most likely hiring a high confidence person with a history of success.

Anyway, I hope this turns out to be a moot point and Doug stays.