Comments About the KU Game

eastsidejoe

I think it is fair to say that everyone who attended the tournament had a great time. A special shout out to the alumni and the sturdents who made the trip for the second game. The 8-10 student brought more energy to the game, especially the cow, the all white guy and the guy dressed in pasley attire. This is the future alumni joining Backhand, Dirty, Davola. It is too bad that all of us could not have sit together. Somehow we need to pool this young enthusiasm with the mids and the older alumni. It is too bad we did not have 40 students with their enthusiasm.

Was KU the host of this tournament? I thought for a while that they confused us with the Mizzlosers. Their fans were abusive as were some of our fans. This may be a stupid subject but I thought that in tournaments it was the usual that the bands alternated playing tunes. The KU band completey obliterated that rule. The SLU band hardly played in the first half at all. At halftime, their entertainer made some rude comment about the Billiken basketball players. At the half I was ticked and took it out on a couple of band member asking why they even came to the tournament it they were not going to perform. They said that it was dictated to them by the director of the tournament. I became very pissed off and told them to tell their substitute band director to get with it and play when they should play. They were more aggressive in the second half and played as they should have played in the first half. I was probably wrong for addressing this with the young band members, but it seemed to get the job done

This tournament was a home court for Kansas, the bands not alternating time, the seating arrangements, the halftime Kansas show, the officiating, no Billiken gear in the the t-shirts area. I get it that Kansas City is a Kansas town but this was a tournament in which all participants should be treated equally. Kansas is a great program, no doubt. They were clearly the better team last night with what we had to work with. But I am proud of our kids, they are student athletes. Tell me that Ben McLemore is a legitimate college student. We know that he is a talented player but he is not college material unless it is a very easy college or they give special consideration to good athletes.

I was disappointed with the seating arrangement. If this was truly a regional tournament, then each school should have been designated a section behind the school bench.

What was up with the distribution of tickets in that we had different seat assignments for each game.

Was KU the host of this tournament? I thought for a while that they confused us with the Mizzlosers. Their fans were abusive as were some of our fans. This may be a stupid subject but I thought that in tournaments it was the usual that the bands alternated playing tunes. The KU band completey obliterated that rule. The SLU band hardly played in the first half at all. At halftime, their entertainer made some rude comment about the Billiken basketball players. At the half I was ticked and took it out on a couple of band member asking why they even came to the tournament it they were not going to perform. They said that it was dictated to them by the director of the tournament. I became very pissed off and told them to tell their substitute band director to get with it and play when they should play. They were more aggressive in the second half and played as they should have played in the first half. I was probably wrong for addressing this with the young band members, but it seemed to get the job done

So that was you? I think I was one of the band members you talked to. What happened was that there was a tourney employee on the headset who told us when we could play. We weren't going to if he didn't say we could. I'm not sure why there was a disparity on the first half timeouts. In the pregame, the KU band would play 4 or 5 song medley's that we couldn't break into. Also, without Mike it was harder to lobby for more time. And of course, the band doesn't want to do anything that would mess up us being able to keep travelling with the team like breaking tourney rules. All I can say is we didn't change anything in the second half, the tourney must have.

To go with the KU band, they didn't allow the high school band supporting Wash St. to play a single song during the pregame on Monday. It's one thing to compete with another college band, but they should've let the kids have some fun.

Anyways, I hope the band sounded good. The balance was a little weird, and we had to adjust to not having Mike or Austin conducting, but we had a great time. I yelled myself hoarse and then collapsed on the bus and slept the entire way back to St. Louis. Had to make myself heard over the KU fans.

The Bills were shorthanded without Carter, and wihout Jett for a half. McCall played hard, and Evans was tough. Ellis after playing poorly in first half ( except for taking charges) came on. Loe seemed to be intimidated. We didn't give up though. One official, who I saw yakking with the Kansas players during breaks in the action, was a true homer. Had Mitchell played, he would have controlled the tempo. It would have been a closer game.