How to beat MSU and other rambling

SLU_Nick

Great win last night. Our guys looked like they belonged, did not play scared for the most part, and I get the sense that they are not satisfied with just one win.

There is a footnote that I havent seen mentioned (didnt check GDT) because we are all flying high. That is, Conklin might have played his worst game of the season last night outside of the FTs at the end. He had at least 8 turnovers himself and missed multiple bunnies. He has got to be stronger with the ball and not try to dribble from the top of the key into the paint. That said, he played great D and really hit some big FTs down the stretch. He should have the "bright-light" jitters out now. He needs to play inside-out tomorrow because he will not be able to bull his way to the basket and he will NOT get the calls from the officials if he tries.

I was happy to see we threw that high/low play out of the playbook last night because that is just a turnover waiting to happen with the length of these teams. Pastner is just simply not a good Xs and Os coach...how hard is it to see that the big man switching on the screen (to ulimately try to stay in front of KM) was not working. If you would have told me pregame and KM would have 4 or 5 open lay-ups at the rim I would have thought you were crazy. I didnt want to say this pregame because I was nervous of their athletes but when Pastner said in his pregame interview something to the effect of "you really cant coach at this point in the season, you are who you are, its up to the players now"...I knew he was not going to keep up mentally with Majerus.

So now onto MSU. They will be very comfortable playing in the halfcourt and will pound the ball down low. I really do not know how we are supposed to defend this. We havent regularly doubled in the post all year, but does RM really expect RL and CE to defend the post one on one against their Offensive Tackles? I will be very curious to see what the maestro has in mind. We need to not be afraid of running at little bit as well, our guys play much smoother and loose when they get a few easy buckets. DE could provide match up problems for them just as he has teams all season. Will Draymond Green guard him? I think DE is too quick for him.

One last thing will be key. Cody needs to step up and be the man. He normally catches fire every 4th game and I think it has been about 3 straight subpar performances. I mean what was the Airball on the open 3 from the top of the key, thats not Cody.

And I hate to say this....but if we can somehow pull this off. The bracket opens up...

-Nick

All our shooting bigs have problems against athletic bigs or even smaller guys with athletic stature. But Michigan State's bigs are the down-low bigs traditional in US style of play. My question is how will they cover us,rather than the other way around? Despite that, we need Cody and Rob to hit a few and make them honest. Cody hasn't had a game in a few days now as Nickpoints out. We need that. Michigan State's Appling is not a true point so our guards may be in better shape to handle theirs.

WE CAN WIN THIS. Memphis didn't scare me ---- young coach with playground players. They caved as we imposed our will and our style. Izzo and MSU is different. If thew refs swallow their whistles, we can be body slammed down low. But we will need a Washington/Xavier effort to win on Sunday.