Rick is right again,,,,,

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just waiting for some moron to post that we have a better pep band. Not sure anyone has noticed but D1 basketball has nothing to do with academics, education or anything of the sort. Who friggin cares if players graduate. I think we have to realize that most kids that play D1 ball and graduate would have attended college anyway. And for the kids that do attend and don't graduate? They never would have attended college if not for their basketball skills. I applaud the kids that get the opportunity and take full advantage. But I don't fault the schools for choosing athletes that never make the commitment to their education. Football and basketball pay for all the other college sports programs so the real student athletes can get the true student athlete experience. And how are most D1 schools going to meet TItle IX if they don't have cash cows in men's basketball and football. D1 basketball is big business. If you relish days gone by start following the local high school team Or feel free to tune in to ESPN to catch the nation's top HS teams...........only a matter of time before you'll be filling out your HS bracket.

I'm just waiting for some moron to post that we have a better pep band. Not sure anyone has noticed but D1 basketball has nothing to do with academics, education or anything of the sort. Who friggin cares if players graduate. I think we have to realize that most kids that play D1 ball and graduate would have attended college anyway. And for the kids that do attend and don't graduate? They never would have attended college if not for their basketball skills. I applaud the kids that get the opportunity and take full advantage. But I don't fault the schools for choosing athletes that never make the commitment to their education. Football and basketball pay for all the other college sports programs so the real student athletes can get the true student athlete experience. And how are most D1 schools going to meet TItle IX if they don't have cash cows in men's basketball and football. D1 basketball is big business. If you relish days gone by start following the local high school team Or feel free to tune in to ESPN to catch the nation's top HS teams...........only a matter of time before you'll be filling out your HS bracket.

+74

Agree, just win baby. Only time you make fun of another school academics is when you can't beat them on the court. Also we are ranked 90 in USNWR we are not exactly the Harvard of the Midwest.

Sorry Dude, I disagree. I remember how shocked I was 40 years ago seeing a great former 6' 10" USF player loading luggage at the San Francisco Airporter about 8 or 10 years after his eligibility ran out (have no idea if he GRADUATED). He was thrilled when he got a tip from some nice person. He got a free education opportunity worth thousands every year and had a minimum wage job. It just hit me for some reason. Some of the guys I played with on the SLU freshman team back in 1961 went on to be attorneys (Beckmeier), PHd's in psychology in private practice (Grieger) and such. They obviously took advantage of their hoops oportunity for a free college education.

As to the racists talk on this thread. I started this after listening to Rick's radio interview. He said Dwayne Evans just missed Academic All American and should get it next year. I'm not familiar with the qualifications for that honor. But isn't DE a non white player? Certainly ethnicity has very little to do with intelligence. Shame on those who suggest otherwise.

the NCAA...