Is it time declare we are cursed?

slu72

i refuse to believe that all top recruits or even the majority have a low ethical backbone and want to go to college to raise hell and play basketball period. and if that is the truth and we condemn ourselves to mediocrity or less forever by only recruiting good citizens that will treat themselves, their teamates and their fellow students with nothing but respect and courtesy then so be it. i think you are wrong. and for the record i would bet that at least 2 of our four culprits in this situation were not bad kids but the level of peer pressure was likely more then they could stand up to. i have been a proponent for a number of years now that i cant imagine the level of peer pressuree that today's youth is confronted with on a daily basis.

nothing to base that on other than to see what a lot of my own kids had to stand up to while growing up and knowing that they had to make difficult decisions about childhood friends that went in the wrong direction. lucky for them and my wife and me, they refused and found new friends. that all said, one of the toughest life learns is making choices and then dealing with the consequences and/or rewards. our billikens in this scenario made the wrong choices and now they are dealing with the consequences. was the student court unfair? maybe. but they just shouldnt have been in that situation in the first place.

I am not saying low ethical standards, I am just saying that they will not want to have the pressure of having to live their lives under a strict moral code. Not everyone is brought up Catholic or had a Jesuit or other religious-based education prior to college. If a student-athlete is presented with the option of a school that has a strict, religious-based code where he had to consistently be on his absolute best behavior at all times or a school that has a more liberal attitude towards how students need to behave, my bet is that the student-athlete will most likely prefer to attend the latter. This does not mean that he necessarily has a low moral backbone. It may just mean that he may not want to be dictated to on how to live his life. Or that he doesn't necessarily believe in all of the tenants of that school's student conduct code.

Personally, once again, I think this will have a negative impact on bringing in high-end basketball recruits. They will look at it as a possibility that they could be punished or kicked off the team for doing something that would be acceptable at another university. That might be enough to sway the decision if a recruit is deciding between two or more schools.

I am not saying low ethical standards, I am just saying that they will not want to have the pressure of having to live their lives under a strict moral code. Not everyone is brought up Catholic or had a Jesuit or other religious-based education prior to college. If a student-athlete is presented with the option of a school that has a strict, religious-based code where he had to consistently be on his absolute best behavior at all times or a school that has a more liberal attitude towards how students need to behave, my bet is that the student-athlete will most likely prefer to attend the latter. This does not mean that he necessarily has a low moral backbone. It may just mean that he may not want to be dictated to on how to live his life. Or that he doesn't necessarily believe in all of the tenants of that school's student conduct code.

Personally, once again, I think this will have a negative impact on bringing in high-end basketball recruits. They will look at it as a possibility that they could be punished or kicked off the team for doing something that would be acceptable at another university. That might be enough to sway the decision if a recruit is deciding between two or more schools.

I, too, believe this will have a considerable effect on future recruiting. While it will probably help w/ parents (unless it gets blown open that SLU put money ahead of their student-athletes), the kids are for sure going to be thinking "do I really not get to have any fun at this school?" And other coaches will be for sure putting that in their heads.

I, too, believe this will have a considerable effect on future recruiting. While it will probably help w/ parents (unless it gets blown open that SLU put money ahead of their student-athletes), the kids are for sure going to be thinking "do I really not get to have any fun at this school?" And other coaches will be for sure putting that in their heads.

You can bet this action will be used against SLU by other coaches. Like look what they did to WR and KM and they were stars. Gonna be the rare kid that says, I want a school that took the moral high road. And I have no problem w/ the moral high road, BUT if what WR, sr and Jr are saying is true, we put these guys at a huge disadvantage in that trial/hearing and that's what's gonna be used against us.