Charlotte announced aspirations to start football "at the highest level"

bk18

Charlotte announced aspirations to start football "at the highest level".

They hope to be playing in 2013.

http://www.charlotte49erfootball.com/

I still think that SLU having a football team by 2020 is reasonable. (I said "reasonable" not "likely"). St. Louis area has the numbers and size to support such a program. It really will come down to money. If someone puts the money out there it will happen.

SLU just got around 100 million from a donation from Alberici. We were given 70% of the stock of the construction company he owned - something like the 50th most expensive private company in the US - I think it was worth around 155 million a few years back. The gift was given around 8 years ago, but the family sued over it and an agreement was made last fall and nothing was disclosed on the settlement.

It would be disappointing for SLU to sit on something of that size and just put it in the endowment. We should really honor him by putting to money towards something that rejuvenates the university in some tangible way. I think just 20% of that would be enough to support a new football program. What better way to honor someone who owned a successful construction company than to construct a medium sized stadium or at least a building of some sort. We could hire his company. They'd have a vested interest in making it a good building if it carried their name.

And for all the anti-SLU football people out there - just because we will never be a Mizzou or Notre Dame when it comes to football, doesn't mean it's unrealistic. Charlotte is getting a program for crying out loud. And for those who say it doesn't fit well for our university, why does WASHU have a program - even if its D3, its still a program.

And for all the anti-SLU football people out there - just because we will never be a Mizzou or Notre Dame when it comes to football, doesn't mean it's unrealistic. Charlotte is getting a program for crying out loud. And for those who say it doesn't fit well for our university, why does WASHU have a program - even if its D3, its still a program.

It depends on what kind of football program you have/start. If Charlotte's going big time, ie D1, you must add like 85 scholarships then come up with another chunk to satisfy prop 48 and probably have to add field hockey, synchronized swimming, etc. I don't think you'll ever see that come to pass at SLU. Too expensive. Villanova plays a lesser division NCAA football, is it II? I don't know if that requires a bunch of scholies or not, but I'll bet it does. Unless we have a Boone Pickens type alum out there who's a sports fanatic and designates a couple of hundred mil specifically for FB, SLU fans are going to have to do their tailgating at Soccer games.

It depends on what kind of football program you have/start. If Charlotte's going big time, ie D1, you must add like 85 scholarships then come up with another chunk to satisfy prop 48 and probably have to add field hockey, synchronized swimming, etc. I don't think you'll ever see that come to pass at SLU. Too expensive. Villanova plays a lesser division NCAA football, is it II? I don't know if that requires a bunch of scholies or not, but I'll bet it does. Unless we have a Boone Pickens type alum out there who's a sports fanatic and designates a couple of hundred mil specifically for FB, SLU fans are going to have to do their tailgating at Soccer games.

BINGO. Will and can never happen as long as Title IX is around.